Summary: Satan uses a beautiful and appealing woman to attract men and women to himself. Since she appears to be so lovely and innocent the world will falsely believe she must be from “god". Our challenge today is: "Do not be deceived by her!"
The Great Harlot
Revelation Part 27, Revelation 17:1-4
- Admittedly, not traditional Mother's Day message
- God challenges us to draw closer to Him
- Chapter 17 shows us some very unique perspectives from all of history
-- If you ever wanted a quick look at Satan’s work, this would be the chapter
- This msg. is primarily a teaching message; really an understanding for us
-- The church needs t be able to recognize who they fight against
-- Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- What Chapter 17 shows us is the religious system that Satan uses
-- Remember: It began at the beginning of the second half of the Tribulation
-- Abomination of Desolation (claiming to be God) in the Temple
Ω - Common question we have: Why is Satan so successful?
-- Since the rapture of the church, many people are confused and seeking answers
-- This is the primary reason why the world is able to be united under one religion
-- Because of the confusion and chaos, people will be looking for answers
-- APP: Satan knows who we are and what are needs are, so he uses those
- He knows that we are willing to follow any trend of the day
-- So with that in hand, he is able to take control (b/c we give it so easily)
- IMP APP: As Christians, we need to understand this and be able to explain
-- It IS the church’s job (not just the preacher) to be able to explain this to others
-- When you KNOW the battle plan of the enemy … you CAN fight and win!
- Read Revelation 17:1-4
Ω Point 1 – The Great Harlot (v1-2)
- After the 7 bowl judgments, one angel invites John to see his religious system
-- Why? So that we (today) can have knowledge of what Satan is planning
-- Again, when you KNOW the battle plan of the enemy … you CAN win!
- Throughout the bible, women are predicted in two ways:
-- There are either reflected as spiritual purity or as being causes of defilement
- Example: The book of proverbs has two definitions for women:
- Here, the angel is clearly defining the role this woman is playing
-- The Greek word used to describe this woman is “porneo”
-- Root word for pornography; so the term “harlot” (or prostitute) is acceptable
- Ezekiel also saw Jerusalem as an “adulterous wife”
-- The city was seeking out to leave God, to go its own way
-- They desired to cling to anything that would make them happy - CAUTION
- Ezekiel 16:30-33 says, “How degenerate is your heart!” says the Lord GOD, “seeing you do all these things, the deeds of a brazen harlot. “You erected your shrine at the head of every road, and built your high place in every street. Yet you were not like a harlot, because you scorned payment. You are an adulterous wife, who takes strangers instead of her husband. Men make payment to all harlots, but you made your payments to all your lovers, and hired them to come to you from all around for your harlotry.”