Summary: Loving God involves more than warm fuzzy feelings. It involves an outward display -- in our actions. Jewish people use objects as reminders of this truth.
1. Greatest Command? Mark 12
3. Love God -- in and out; Show and Tell
I. Home Schooling (Teaching Children)
[The arrival of children affects life
A mother's Clothing
* 1st baby: You begin wearing maternity clothes as soon as your doctor
confirms your pregnancy.
* 2nd baby: You wear your regular clothes for as long as possible.
* 3rd baby: Your maternity clothes ARE your regular clothes.
The Babies Clothing
* 1st baby: You pre-wash your newborn's clothes, color-coordinate them,
and fold them neatly in the baby's little bureau.
* 2nd baby: You check to make sure that the clothes are clean and discard only the ones with the darkest stains.
* 3rd baby: Boys can wear pink, can't they?
* 1st baby: If the pacifier falls on the floor, you take it home and wash and boil it.
* 2nd baby: When the pacifier falls on the floor, you squirt it off with juice from the baby's bottle.
* 3rd baby: You wipe it off on your shirt and pop it back in.
* 1st baby: You spend a good bit of every day just gazing at the baby.
* 2nd baby: You spend a bit of every day watching to be sure your older
child isn't squeezing, poking, or hitting the baby.
* 3rd baby: You spend a part of everyday hiding from the children.
A. Children are Holy Gifts from God
Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Psalm 127.3
1. The first commandment recorded in scripture -- be fruitful and multiply (Genesis 1.28)
2. Dedication of children to God, doing the best we can do
B. Society is a harsh place for children --
1. [My freedoms as a child; compared to today
2. Educational system that leaves God out in word and practice -- children disciplined for silent prayer; chewing a pop-tart in the shape of a pistol [Idaho is being considered off limits because if you turn it sideways it looks like a gun]
3. Moral breakdown of the culture -- Homosexuality is accepted as an alternative regardless of God's position
4. Mocking biblical lifestyle -- "Clinging to guns and bible"
C. We can Pass on the baton of faith to children; it involves
1. Building Relationships -- Spending Time
a. [Harry Chapin: "Cat's in the Cradle"
I'm gonna' be like you, Dad; You know I'm gonna be like you.
And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me, He'd grown up just like me, My boy was just like me
b. Quality and Quantity Time
2. Being Responsible -- Live Your Faith
a. "Don't do as I do, do as I say."
b. Not sinless perfection but consistency
c. Model the life before them -- making disciples begins at home
1) If we want our sons to love their wives as Christ loved the church -- Dads, model it
2) If we want our daughters to love their husbands, Moms model it (in scriptural bounds)
3) If we want our children to practice morality -- turn off immoral TV, etc.
4) If we want our children to pray -- parents pray; study; serve; etc.
3. Bringing Repetition -- Teach Diligently (with repetition)
[In 1800, President T. Jefferson commissioned a national survey to determine the level of literacy in America. The survey found that more than 97% of Americans could read and write. The stated reason was that American fathers practiced daily bible reading with their children around the breakfast table.