Summary: We are stewards of many assets, this sermon deal with the most significant of all.
The greatest Stewardship—the good news
1. STEWARDSHIP REQUIRED
STEWARD—the proper administration of al the value that is placed in our hands.
· a house distributor (that is, manager),
· or overseer, employed by another to oversee
· by extension a fiscal agent (treasurer);
· figuratively a preacher (of the Gospel):—chamberlain, governor, steward.
1Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
1 Pet 4:7 (KJV)
7But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
1 Pet 4:8 (KJV)
8And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
1 Pet 4:9 (KJV)
9Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
1 Pet 4:10 (KJV)
10As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
TLB: 10God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to others God’s many kinds of blessings.
NLT: 10God has given gifts to each of you from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Manage them well so that God’s generosity can flow through you.
1 Pet 4:11 (KJV)
11If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Ø a (divine) gratuity, that is, deliverance (from danger or assion).
Ø (specifically) a (spiritual) endowment, that is,
Ø (subjectively) religious qualification, or
Ø (objectively) miraculous faculty:—(free) gift.
THAT WE ARE REQUIRED TO BE FAITHFUL STEWARDS CANNOT BE DENIED!
2. STEWARDS OF WHAT?
ALL THE VALUE, WORTH, SIGNIFICANCE, & SUBSTANCE THAT IS PLACED IN OUR CARE, UNDER OUR ADMINISTRATION, OR GIVEN IN TRUST TO OUR SUPERVISION.
WHETHER --MATERIAL OR IMMATERIAL, TANGIBLE OR INTANGIBLE, APPARENT OR OBSCURE, SEEN OR UNSEEN
The responsibility remains.
There is no viable excuse for negligence.
2. Please excuse Lisa for being absent. She was sick and I had her shot.
3. Dear School: ExcusesPlease excuse John being absent on Jan. 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, and also 33.
14. Please excuse Jennifer for missing school yesterday. We forgot to get the Sunday paper off the porch, and when we found it Monday, we thought it was Sunday.
12. Please excuse Jimmy for being. It was his father’s fault.work 9. I’m not coming in because I need a mental day.
26. I won’t be in today....I’m calling in dead.
31. I can’t come into work today because of eye trouble.... I can’t see working today.Police: 1. Please excuse me from this speeding ticket. My wife ran off with a state policeman and when I saw your flashing lights I didn’t stop because I thought you might be the trooper who is trying to bring her back to me.
11. "I’m a professional psychic so I would know who is guilty even before the trial."