Summary: GREAT IS THE LORD AND GREATLY TO BE PRAISED – FOR HIS GLORY AND STRENGTH
GREAT IS THE LORD AND GREATLY TO BE PRAISED –
FOR HIS GLORY AND STRENGTH
I. (:1-6) CALL TO THE WHOLE EARTH:
TO SING PRAISES TO THE LORD FOR HIS GLORY AND STRENGTH
A. Tone of Praise:
1. New and Fresh
"a new song"
2. Good News
"Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day"
1. His glory
"Splendor and majesty"
2. His wonderful deeds
"Strength and beauty"
C. Key: "Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised"
D. Proof: His Uniqueness established by His Role as Creator of the heavens
"He is to be feared above all gods"
Why? idols vs. Creator
II. (:7-10) CALL TO THE NATIONS:
TO WORSHIP THE LORD FOR HIS GLORY AND STRENGTH
A. Tone of Worship:
"Worship the Lord in holy attire"
2. Fear of God
"Tremble before Him, all the earth”
3. Humility and Thanksgiving
"Bring an offering, and come into His courts"
"the glory of His name"
C. Key: "the Lord Reigns"
D. Proof: God is fully in Control
1. "the world is firmly established, it will not be moved”
2. "He will judge the peoples with equity"
III. (:11-13) CALL TO NATURE: TO REJOICE IN THE LORD FOR HIS RETURN TO THE EARTH TO REIGN IN RIGHTEOUSNESS
A. Tone of Rejoicing
1. Gladness and Joy
2. Exultation and Shouting
B. Content: Glory and Strength as Coming King
C. Key: "He is coming to judge the earth" (and to govern)
D. Proof: He will reign in accordance with His character
1. "He will judge the world in righteousness"
2. "And the peoples in His faithfulness"
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Every Christian has a daily responsibility to proclaim God’s salvation, and to tell of His glory and the miracles He performs. Do you share the good news of what God has done for you? How are you able to do this tactfully and on a consistent basis?
2) God knows that idols are powerless, worthless, and of no benefit to man. Why then does He concern Himself over their existence? What about idols is offensive to God?
3) The psalmist tells us that God’s holiness is beautiful and causes us to worship and
reverence Him. How does God reveal His holiness to you? When do you feel closest to Him and most worshipful?
4) The earth is going to rejoice when the Lord returns. If you are alive at that moment,
will you also be rejoicing or will you be concerned about the impending judgment? What can you do now to be ready for the Lord’s return?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)