Summary: A short harvest sermon for our older folks service. The natural principles of harvest apply in our lives to give a spiritual harvest of fruit.
The Harvest in our lives
Silver Service 5 Oct 06. Hos 10:12, Gal 5:22-26
Harvest speaks of…..
- the natural speaks of the supernatural… invisible
- there can be a harvest in our lives (of what? I’ll tell you later)
o if we apply the principles seen in the natural world… do the right thins
What do we plough?
- our hearts
o soften them. Break up the ground. Get it ready
- we do this ourselves
- God helps
o Ezek 36:26 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
o God helps- as you YIELD to Him
Poster: hearts: openness to the Father
What do we sow?
- got to fill your heart with the right, good thing
- what is the word of God?
o Message… good news about God and His love
o The good news of Jesus
" Jesus = The Word of God
o It’s a living, active thing! God speaking into your life daily
o = the Bible, as well- because that is primarily how God speaks today
Poster: receive: the word about Jesus
What about watering? Because it takes more than just planting a seed to make it grow. What waters this good stuff and makes it grow?
- the Holy Spirit
o "I planted the seed, but God made it grow" 1 Cor 3:6
o by them yielding to the HS on a daily basis
" (Illlustr: like the signs in Eire- "Yield")
o Constantly yielding
Poster: water: the nurture of the Holy Spirit
The whole thing is living in the Spirit… presence of God… every moment
- I would rather LIVE in the Spirit.. Presence- than be REACTING
o Having to ’dive for shelter’
o Pray emergency prayers all the time…
There is a way to live in the Spirit so you respond- AS Jesus, IN Jesus
- respond as Christ would, to
o fears etc
What do we reap?
- Galatian 6:9 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (then adds: 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.)
- Rightness! The character of Jesus. A character developed by the Holy Spirit
- Poster: the fruit of the Holy Spirit
o (don’t you love the way the agricultural pictures of the Bible fit together!- Harvest and Fruit!)
o love… joy… peace….
May they be your!
- may you respond… look… act… like Jesus
"May the Peace of the Lord Christ go with you…"