Summary: "The harvest is past"
Jeremiah 8 v.4 -v 22
God's Provision of a Harvest (Opportunity) - v. 20 "The harvest is past"
1. God's Opportunity Revealed - v. 4 -12
(a) The Divine Inquiry - v. 4 "Moreover thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the LORD; Shall they fall, and not arise? shall he turn away, and not return?"
The Love of it, Logic of it (prodigal), Lesson of it -repentance demanded, described, and desired (help us to repent), the Loss of it - v. 5 "Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return. "O Jerusalem - how oft"
(b) The Divine Indictment v. 5 "Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return"
The deceit of religion without Christ, Ritual without (1) reality,(2) without righteousness (3) without repentance, (4) without regeneration (5) without restoration "they refuse to return"
(c) The Divine Interest v. 6 "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle."
I hearkened and heard" - what he heard? their sinful speech , what he saw? their sinful state, what he knew? their sinful end "every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Note Their :-
v.6 Arrogance - "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle."
v. 7 Ignorance - "Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the LORD."
v. 8 Negligence - "How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain."
v. 9 Intransigence - "The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?"
What he said? v. 10 " Therefore will I give their wives unto others, and their fields to them that shall inherit them: for every one from the least even unto the greatest is given to covetousness, from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
(d) The Divine Intent - v. 10 to reject those who rejected him
2. God's Opportunity Rejected by the peoples :- Sin , Speech , Senselessness v. 7, -"know not", Stubborness v. 9 "rejected word of the Lord,
Selfishness v. 10 covetousness, Shamelessness v. 12 neither could they blush
3. God's Opportunity Removed v. 20 "the harvest is past"- Babylonish captivity
Here God's opportunity is :-
(a) a limited opportunity - the harvest is past Its passing,
(b) a lost opportunity -"the summer is ended" - how soon,sad, solemn
(c) Its a lamented opportunity - "we are not saved"
2. God's Preparation In Harvest v. 20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended"
1. The Cause of Judgement was Their sin v. 5 "they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return."
2. The Cry in Judgement i.e. by Jeremiah v. 20 note 3 cries note - below
1. Harvest is past - opportunity gone i.e. for repentance, redemption,reconciliation
2. Summer is ended - summer of life
3. We are not saved
3. The Cure for Judgement v. 22 Is there no balm in Gilead?"
There is a cure (balm) (1) a unique cure - only one (2) an effective cure - it works
(3) an available cure - whosoever - in Gilead (4) It's a vital cure - "How shall we escape?"
(5) sadly an ignored cure - "ye will not come to me"
3. God's Proclamation Through Harvest
(a) Harvest is Passing
(b) Summer is Ending
(c) Salvation is Wanting
4. God's Pronouncement On Harvest
Not saved: —
I. “NOT SAVED,” AND SALVATION PROVIDED SO DEARLY!
II. “NOT SAVED,” AND SALVATION OFFERED SO FREELY!
III. “NOT SAVED,” AND SALVATION SO NECESSARY !
IV. “NOT SAVED,” AND TIME PASSING SO SWIFTLY!
V. “NOT SAVED,” AND LIFE BASED ON SO GREAT UNCERTAINTY!