Summary: The harvest is past, the summer is ended"
Jeremiah 8 v. 4 - 22 v. 20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended"
1. The Cause of Judgement (a) Their sin v. 5 hold fast deceit, refuse to return i.e. unlike the prodigal who came to himself, then to his father
(b) Their speech v. 6 "spake not aright - none said what have I done? publican - "God be merciful to me a sinner" -take the sinners place
(c) Their stupidity - v. 7 "my people know not the judgement of the Lord" "my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" no discerning, dividing, delivering
(d) Their stubbornness - v. 9 rejected the word of the Lord - why? contrary to their own way
(c) Their selfishness - v. 10 "all given to covetousness" prophet to priest - "thou fool"
(f) Their shame - v. 12 -not at all ashamed - glorying in sin - Belshazzar - weighed and wanting
2. The Cry in Judgement i.e. by Jeremiah v. 20 note 3 cries note - below
1. Harvest is past - opportunity gone i.e. for repentance, redemption,reconciliation
note opportunity was provided - John v. 16 - presented, preaching,prolonged - "Lo these three years I come - barren fig tree but now past - note their heedlessness to God's warnings - Noah's day - repented not helplessness to save themselves - "How wilt thou do? hopelessness of ever being saved
2. Summer is ended - summer of life note
(a) Summer's beginnings - plans, prospects, promises,potential
(b) Summer's brevity - goes so quickly - weavers shuttle
(c) Summer's barrenness - rich farmer - "then whose shall these things be"
3. We are not saved - note (1) A tremendous confession - need realized (2) A truthful confession - we are not saved - need expressed - publican (3) A tragic confession -why? too late - from sin, guilt, wrath,judgement & eternal condemnation
3. The Cure for Judgement v. 22 Is there no balm in Gilead?"
There is a cure (balm) (1) a unique cure - only one (2) an effective cure - it works (3) an available cure - whosoever - in Gilead (4) sadly an ignored cure - "ye will not come to me" How shall we escape?
note cry - time is progressing, opportunities are passing,delay is perilous harvest past, summer ended we are not saved