Summary: The disciples had already witnessed amazing miracles, but now the request hit close to home.
The Healing Touch
Mark 1:29-30 (HCSB)
As soon as they left the synagogue, they went into Simon and Andrew’s house with James and John. Simon’s mother-in-law was lying in bed with a fever, and they told Him about here at once.
Voicing Your Burdens
- Simon’s burden
- His mother-in-law was sick
- High fever
- Bed ridden
- Emotional burden
- What’s burdening you today?
- Simon had already seen Jesus’ authority
- Full nets
- Casting out demons
- Provided a foundation of faith as he shared this family need
- How have you seen Jesus’ authority revealed?
Mark 1:31 (HCSB)
So He went to her, took her by the hand, and raised her up. The fever left her, and she began to serve them.
Luke 4:39a (HCSB)
So He stood over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up immediately and began to serve them.
Sickness is no Match
- Jesus displayed authority
- Over the illness
- Over the physical body
- Demonstrated in His words and action
- Not just healed, but restored
- Returning to immediate service
- No need for further rest
- Healing was complete
Mark 1:32 (HCSB)
When evening came, after the sun had set, they began bringing to Him all those who were sick and those who were demon-possessed.
Religion Gets in the Way
- The people waited
- The Pharisees forbid healing on the Sabbath
- The people did not come until after sundown
- The needs were immediate
- Demon possession
- Are we keeping others from the touch of Jesus?
Mark 1:33-34 (HCSB)
The whole town was assembled at the door, and He healed many who were sick with various diseases and drove out many demons. But He would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew Him.
Everyone Takes Notice
- Jesus draws attention
- Through the miraculous
- Through His authority
- Through His very presence
- Forced silence
- The demons were not allowed to speak
- Jesus would reveal Himself according to God’s plan
- When the time was right
- All glory would go to the Father
** Powerpoint available on request