Summary: study on Melchizedek
Intro: if we were to ask people today to name some of the most important people in the Bible, I am sure the names Jesus, Abraham, David, Moses, Elijah, Peter, Paul and John would be at the top of the list. A name that wouldn’t probably even make the list is Melchizedek—But today, I am here to proposed to you, that this is one of the most important names in the Bible, and to understand the significance of this name could very well change your life.
The High Priest of Heaven
The first person Melchizedek is introduced to was Abraham.
The second is David—who wrote the Psalm
The last revelation is to the Church, through the Word of God. Why is this knowledge so important to us?
1. Jesus speaks to us directly—by His written Word, by the Holy Spirit—Hebrews 1:2—hath in these last days spoken to us by the Son. So many people want someone to speak into their lives. But the truth is, that Jesus is speaking, greater than the prophets, greater than any angel—chapter—we receive revelation from Jesus Christ.
2. His name is the exalted name above every other name, we have power through his name—Hebrews 1:4
Our high priest has power in his name—there was no power in the name of Aaron, or Levi—but in the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow, every tongue confess.
3. Seated at the Father’s Right Hand—Hebrews 1:13—This High Priest of Heaven, is seated—the work is completed—unlike human effort of the priesthood, there is no more work to do for our Jesus, it is finished.
4. Merciful and Faithful High Priest—Hebrews 2:17-18
He is able to help those who are going through temptations, the trials of life. He is approachable.
He is not willing that any should perish. All that call
On the name of the Lord shall be saved.
5. Boldly Approach Him—Hebrews 4:14-16 can be touched with the feelings of our infirmities. Obtain mercy, find grace to help in time of need. Through the sacrifice of Christ, we now can approach God.
6. Appointed by God to this Office—Hebrews 5:5-6
Of all the positions that God could have given to Christ, the office of High Priest in Heaven was sworn with an oath. We must understand how important this office is: Christ by oath of God the Father—has this most holy and high position.
7. Forerunner into Heaven—Hebrews 6:19-20 He has made the way for us. He tore down the sign: no admittance—with the sign—full access.
8. Changing of the Law—Hebrews 7:12 the old Law made nothing perfect—no one could live up to it. So Christ, the sacrificial lamb, wrote a new testament in his blood. The new law isn’t written in stone, it is written on hearts. 7:22- a guarantee of a better testament. Jesus is the mediator of a better covenant.
9. The power of an endless life—Hebrews 7:16-17 by defeating death, He now ever lives as our High Priest. There is only one High Priest—Jesus
10. Continually interceding for us—7:25 It is great that saints are praying for you, but to know that Jesus is praying you through the battles of life is such a comfort.
11. Sins and iniquities, I will remember no more-8:12
Under the old law—the sacrificial system was a constant reminder of sin. But with Christ, we are set free.
There is now therefore no condemnation in Christ-Romans 8:1
12. One sacrifice for sins forever—10:12 God accepted the sacrifice of Jesus Christ as the Lamb of God. Jesus is our mediator through His own blood.
What all the sacrifices could never do: appease God’s wrath against sin. Jesus was accepted by God, weep not, the Lion of the Tribe of Judah has prevailed.
Close: Truly having Jesus is to have the King of Righteousness, the King of Peace. He is our righteousness because His blood gave us right standing with God. He is our peace because he has broken down the middle wall of partition.