Summary: The way sin began, the way sin affects man, the way sin affects God, the way sin affects our lives, the way sin affects our future, and the way of escape God has provided.
The History Of Sin
Hebrews 3:13 “But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.”
Charles Haddon Spurgeon reckoned as the highest compliment ever paid to him the words of an open enemy who said, “Here is a man who has not moved as much as an inch forward in all his ministry. At the close of the 19th century he is preaching the theology of the 1st century and is proclaiming the doctrine of Nazareth and Jerusalem, which was current 1800 years ago.”
What was said of Spurgeon needs to be said of every N.T. preacher. We need to preach about sin as it was preached about by God’s servants 2000 years ago.
Def. of Sin
1. Dictionary – “Sin is a transgression, evil, a violation of accepted moral, religious code.”
2. Sin is any lack of conformity to the character of God.
3. Sin is a hopelessly incurable disease of the soul.
4. Sin is rebellion against God.
5. Sin is the opposite of holiness, of God, and of morality.
I. The Way Sin Began
1. Sin Began In The Universe With The Rebellion Of Satan.
Isaiah 14:12-14 “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.”
2. Sin Began In The World By Adam And Eve’s Rebellion.
Genesis 3:6-7 “And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. 7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.”
Romans 5:12 “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
3. Sin Begins In Man Because The Heart Is Deceitful.
Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?”
Matthew 15:18-19 “But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:”
II. The Way Sin Affects Man
1. It Made Man A Transgressor – Separated from God.
Isaiah 59:2 “But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.”
2. It Left Man Guilty And Condemned Before God.
John 3:18 “He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”
III. The Way Sin Affects God
1. It Is Contrary To His Holiness.
2. It Provokes God To Wrath.
John 3:36 “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”
IV. The Way Sin Affects Our Lives
1. Sin Has A Law Of Sowing And Reaping.
Galatians 6:7-8 “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.”
2. Sin Is Exceeding Sinful
a. Ex. 20:3-17 –-- Ten Sins
b. I Cor. 6:9,10 –-- 5 Sins
c. Rom. 1:29-31 –-- 19 Sins
d. I Tim. 1:19-11 –-- 6 Sins
e. Col. 3:5-8 ---7 Sins
f. Gal. 5:19-21 ---9 Sins
g. Mark 7:20-23 ---3 sins
Over 50 Separate Sins
V. The Way Sin Affects Our Future
1. Heb 9:27 “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:”
2. Romans 5:12 “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
VI. The Way of Escape – God Has Provided A Way
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”