Summary: Holy Ghost baptism is a gift from God to believers, and we must follow the scriptural principles in the reception and the operation of the gift in the Church.
THE HOLY GHOST BAPTISM
The Christian needs the power of the Holy Ghost for exploits in the service of the Lord. Enduement with power from on high makes a great difference in a believer’s life, ministry, home, and in every area of his/her life. The spiritually feeble believer becomes dynamic; the lukewarm becomes aggressive in evangelism while ordinary believer becomes mighty instruments in the hand of God.
I. WHO IS THE HOLY GHOST?
- The Holy Ghost is the third personality in the Trinity. He is a divine Personality whom we must honour, worship, fellowship with and listen to.
- He is called the Holy Ghost the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, the Spirit of the living God, the Spirit of Christ, the Spirit of holiness, the Spirit of Life, the Spirit of wisdom, the Comforter, the eternal Spirit. 2 Cor 13:14, Luke 11:13; John 16:13; 2 Cor 3:3; 1 Pet 1:11, Rom 1:4; 8:2; Eph 1:17; Matt 10:20; John 14:16; Heb 9:14
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit is the enduement of power from on high upon the sanctified believer. Acts 1:8
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit is for those who have repented of their sins and have been made new creatures in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The Spirit of the Lord is holy and cannot come upon unrepentant and unsanctified individuals. Ezek 36:24-26
- After fulfilling the pre-requisite of salvation and sanctification, you must thirst and pray for the Holy Ghost baptism. You must ask in faith and you shall receive.
II. MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT THE HOLY GHOST BAPTISM
- Christians should beware as they seek for the power of the Holy Ghost, lest they fall into error and are misguided.
- There have been many erroneous teachings on the Holy Ghost and His baptism among the so-called Pentecostal movements.
- Christians who seek for the power should note that the Holy Ghost power is accompanied by the initial evidence of speaking in a language unlearned previously, referred to as speaking in tongues, as the spirit gives utterance. Acts 2:1-4
- It should be noted that we do not teach or instruct people how to speak in tongue; the Holy Ghost gives utterance. Some assemblies erroneously teach their members how to speak in tongue. Some profess to be baptized with the Holy Ghost but are without His accompanying power. Others go as far as copying the pattern of other people’s tongues. All these practices are contrary to sound scriptural doctrine and will give Satan opportunity to corrupt the gifts of God among the believers. Therefore Christians should beware and follow the biblical pattern.
- Our experiences and practices must conform to the principles and teachings of the scriptures. We should go only as far as the Bible goes and no further. We should not look for any experience not recorded in the New Testament among the apostles and the Christians in the Bible days.
- Some people believe that the baptism in the Holy Ghost is not compulsory, and so they don’t have to receive it. While others believe it is meant for people in God’s special assignments. Others do not want the baptism of the Holy Spirit because of the fear of receiving a counterfeit from Satan. But I need to encourage you that this gift is for every one that believes and follows Christ sincerely, and if you follow the Scriptures in the way you receive the baptism of the Spirit, it is not possible for the devil to give you counterfeit. A young lady that was demonically oppressed came to me for prayers few years back. As I was praying for her, the Holy Spirit directed that the lady should be baptized in the Holy Ghost. When I told her, she busted into laughter and was not willing for the baptism. This was because she had been taught in her local assembly that the baptism is meant for only the priests and others in God’s special assignment. God gave me the grace to expound the truth to her from the scriptures, and she believed. The Holy Spirit came upon her in a great way and she was filled with the evidence of speaking in tongues, and at the same time, she was totally freed from the demonic oppression.
Moreover, it is not possible to be the best God wants you to be, or enjoy maximally all the kingdom benefits without receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Bible says any one that has not the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Him. Consequently any one that does not belong to Christ belongs to Satan.
III. THE MINISTRY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN
- The ministry of the Holy Spirit in a believer’s life cannot be over-emphasised. Every Christian should seek the power now more than ever before.