Summary: The Holy Spirit helps us live for God
What was Jesus’ favorite name of the Holy Spirit? The Helper. “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you” (John 14:26, NKJV). Jesus used the Greek word allos which means “another of the (same) kind or sort to describe the Holy Spirit” (John 14:16).
B. HOW IS THE HOLY SPIRIT SIMILAR TO JESUS?
1. The spirit of (His Son). He has the same (nature) as Jesus. “And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, ‘Abba,’ Father!” (Gal. 4:6).
2. The spirit of (Jesus). He does the same (work) of salvation as Jesus. “But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you” (Rom. 8:11).
3. The Spirit of (Christ). He (exists) in the threefold anointed office of Jesus. “The righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit” (Rom. 8:4).
4. The Spirit of (Jesus Christ). Assists the ministry of Jesus. “For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ” (Phil. 1:19).
C. HOW DID THE HOLY SPIRIT HELP JESUS DURING HIS LIFE AND MINISTRY?
1. His virgin birth. “And the angel answered and said to her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God’” (Luke 1:35).
2. His growth in maturity. “And the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him” (Luke 2:40).
3. Anointing Him for ministry at His baptism. “And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased” (Luke 3:22).
4. Strengthening Him during temptation. “Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness” (Luke 4:1).
5. Empowering Him to do miracles. “I cast out demons by the Spirit of God” (Matt. 12:28).
6. Assisting in the atonement. “Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself” (Heb. 9:14).
7. Raising Him from the dead. “The Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead” (Rom. 8:11).
8. The Ascension. “He (the Spirit) will glorify Me . . . because I go to the Father” (John 16:14, 16).
JESUS AND THE HOLY SPIRIT
He was filled with the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:1)
He was led by the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:1)
He was anointed by the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:18)
He was empowered by the Holy Spirit (Matt. 12:28)
He rejoiced in the Holy Spirit (Luke 10:21)
D. HOW DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT HELP US LIVE FOR GOD?
1. The Principle of Modeling Character by producing spiritual fruit; the Holy Spirit is transforming our character making us more like Jesus (Gal. 5:22, 23).
2. The Principle of Eye-Opening Conviction. The Holy Spirit “causes us to see” our sin of unbelief, failure to live up to God’s standard of righteousness, and the ultimate consequences of our sin in judgment.
3. The Principle of Inner Fulfillment. The Holy Spirit helps us experience and appreciate our union with God and enjoy communion with Christ.
4. The Principle of Availability. The Holy Spirit is always available to give us the power we need when we need it.
5. The Principle of Personal Power. The Holy Spirit provides us with the spiritual power we need to effectively serve God.
Jesus was dependent upon the Holy Spirit in His ministry; certainly we need to rely upon the Holy Spirit in our life and ministry also. How can we rely more on the Holy Spirit?
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.