Summary: Is the Spirit of God at home in you?
1. In the Battlefield of our minds, what’s in control? Who’s?
• Is our fleshly tendencies and unspiritual habits?
• Or is the Holy Spirit of God controlling our mind?
WELL PASTOR ED, I don’t know? How do I tell the difference?
• Look back at Romans 8:5ff
• When the Spirit of God is ruling, life and peace.
• When our flesh, our carnal minds rule, death.
It’s so wonderful to know, to believe, and live in the truth that there is now THEREFORE NO CONDMNATION in Christ… YES!
• But understand, if you are carnally minded…
• Living in the flesh… living for your flesh… living contrary to God’s heart and will for your life…
• Then you will NEVER have life & peace!
1. (8:9-11) If Spirit of God dwells in you.
a. The way to not be ‘in the flesh’ is to be ‘in the Spirit’.
b. It starts really, when you’re BORN AGAIN.
c. The Holy Sprit then immediately comes into your life and regenerates you… seals you… and becomes the guarantee of your Salvation from the INSIDE OUT. Let’s look…
THE SPIRIT REGENERATES a person…
Titus 3:4-5 (NKJV) 4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
THE SPIRIT INDWELLS a believer.
1 Corinthians 3:16 (NKJV) 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
The SPIRIT SEALS a believer.
Ephesians 4:30 (NKJV) And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
THE SPIRIT EMPOWERS the believer.
Acts 1:8 (NKJV) 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
V9 again… you’re not in the flesh if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you…
• MARK that word DWELL… it literally means “to be at home”
Is the spirit of god at home in you?
• Or is He grieved? Are we hindering the work of the Spirit?
• If you’re a believer here today, the Spirit of God is in you with no exception. But does He dwell? Is He at home in your life?
A CONSTANT FIERY DART in the believer’s life is sexual sin.
• Both in action and especially in the thought life.
• Grieving the Holy Spirit means to make Him sad or sorrowful.
• When we allow bitterness to poison our lives or when we slander others or when we sin… we grieve the Spirit of God!
• YES: Sexual sin grieves the heart of God, grieves the Spirit.
NOTE: Flip over to 1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• Your body, my body has become the Temple of God!
• A life of worship. A life of communion. A life of pleasure in Him.
APP: It’s always a good idea to run away from sin. ALWAYS.
• To live you life knowing, I’m the Temple of the Holy Spirit.
• God dwells in me. I will live for Him for today, right now.
But in the battle, there is this attempt to destroy your temple!
• What? Yes, there are constant temptations that appeal to your humanity, to your flesh… sexual sins, lusts.
• Our world is filled with them!