Summary: ❶ HE CREATES ❷ HE GIFTS ❸ HE INSPIRES ❹ HE ENABLES
John 14:15-20, 26-27
- We are impressed with what we can see, touch
- The invisible is even more impressive
- Air you can’t see it, feel it, or smell it
- Power to lift a 747 which weights almost 500
tons and keep it 5 miles high for hours
- Run it through hoses and valves stop freight
train with 100 cars carrying 6,000 tons
- Air focused on a steel wedge can break up sold
- Air twisted into a cyclone can rip out trees with
- Whirl it though a state hurricanes destroy
dozens of communities
- Just because it is invisible does not mean
unimportant or weak
- Francis Schaeffer God: “He is there,” “and He is
- What we believe about the HS is in our Doctrine
- Yet the HS is misunderstood & ignored
- The word “spirit” conjures up a fuzzy, if not,
- Has us to think of the Holy Spirit as “it” rather
- Not a power or force
- Not something you slip on or off like a coat
- It a relationship, a person who is always with you
John 16:13-14KJV --- 9x
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, 2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
❶ HE CREATES
- At the creation of earth
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
30 Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth.
HS Made Man
- Job’s friend, Elihu
4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
- It was the HS that brought about conception
Matthew 1:18, 20 KJV
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
- His power brought about the universe and life