Summary: He filled a fetus, conceived Christ, fulfilled Messianic expectation, descended like a Dove, led to be tested, helps us worship, makes us born from above, teaches & reminds us, and fills us with power to witness & validate the Gospel.
THE HOLY SPIRIT IN
1. Bill Gates died and went to heaven where Peter gave him a nice house with a pool.
2. One day, he bumped into another man and saw that the other guy had a lot nicer things than he had.
3. So Gates asked him, "Were you a minister or something?" "No, I was the captain of the Titanic."
4. Gates was very upset to hear this. He marched off to see Peter. "Hey, how come the captain of a boat that sank on its maiden voyage gets all of that stuff, and I, the inventor of Windows operating system, only get my house & pool?"
5. "Well," said Peter. "We use Windows up here, and the Titanic only crashed once."
1. Tonight we’re on our 5th installment on a series on the Holy Spirit. Tonight we’re moving from the Old Testament to the New Testament.
2. We’re covering the ministry of the Spirit during the earthly life of the Lord Jesus.
3. The title of tonight’s message is “The Holy Spirit in the Gospels.”
I. EVENTS NEAR CHRIST’S BIRTH
A. FETUS FILLED WITH SPIRIT
1. “He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born” Lk. 1:15. “When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit” Lk. 1:41.
2. John the Baptist was the first person ever said to be filled with the Spirit before he was even born. Others, such as Samson (Judges 13:4-7) and Samuel (1 Sam. 1:11) were Nazirites from birth.
3. Jeremiah (1:5) had personal knowledge of God, but only about John the Baptist does it say an unborn baby was filled with the Spirit.
4. Both these verses highlight that life begins at conception and that an unborn baby is a not a “blob of tissue,” but a viable human being in God’s sight.
5. God obviously believes in the sanctity of Life!
B. A GENETIC PATTERN ORIGINATING IN SPIRIT
1. Matt. 1:18, “Mary…was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.” Matt. 1:20, “Joseph…do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.” Also Luke 1:35.
2. Unheard of in human history, a woman still a virgin, who’d never been with a man, would have the Holy Spirit place in one of her eggs the genes of God, supplying the male side of the genetic pattern. (David’s line was supplied through Mary.)
3. The genes implanted weren’t just the genes of a male, but were the genes of God Himself. “The Word became flesh” John 1:14; “God was manifest in the flesh” 1 Tim. 3:16. “Bethlehem… out of you shall he come… whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting” Mic. 5:2. See Isa. 7:14; 9:6.
4. This combination allowed Christ, as part of humankind, to take their place; and as God, to bear their sins. He had to be God and man in one Person to accomplish our redemption.
C. THE SPIRIT & MESSIANIC EXPECTATION