Summary: Our purpose is to expand our understanding of the Holy Spirit & to learn how to yield to Him and work with Him today.God has not changed His gameplan; the Holy Spirit is just as vital to the church’s success today as He was in the Book of Acts.
THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE KINGDOM PERIOD
A. HUMOR: CAR BREAKDOWN
1. 4 engineers were traveling in a car; a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, an electrical engineer and a computer engineer. The car broke down.
2. “Sounds to me as if the pistons have seized. We’ll have to strip down the engine before we can get the car working again”, says the mechanical engineer.
3. “Well”, says the chemical engineer, “it sounded to me as if the fuel might be contaminated. I think we should clear out the fuel system.”
4. “I thought it might be a grounding problem”, says the electrical engineer, “or maybe a faulty plug lead.”
5. They all turn to the computer engineer who has said nothing and say: “Well, what do you think?” “Ummm perhaps if we all get out of the car and get back in again?”
1. This is part 3 of a series on the Holy Spirit. We started with “Moses & the Holy Spirit,” then “David & the Holy Spirit,” and tonight “The Holy Spirit in the Kingdom Period”
2. Our purpose is to expand our understanding of the Holy Spirit & to learn how to yield to Him and work with Him today.
3. He was sent to fill and work with the church until Jesus comes. God has not changed His gameplan; the Holy Spirit is just as vital to the church’s success today as He was in the Book of Acts. We need Him to succeed!
I. EXPONENTIAL GROWTH IN PARTICIPATION
A. POST-JUDGES: PERIOD OF SPIRITUAL EXPANSION
1. Israel’s early history is one of great numerical expansion, but small spiritual power. Coming out of Egypt were 2½ million people and one man filled with the Spirit – Moses. Joshua followed him.
2. Then came the chaotic time of the Judges who were (accept Deborah) warriors whom God temporarily empowered to defeat their enemies, but who knew little of God’s ways or spiritual gifts.
3. At last came a boy raised in the Tabernacle, surrounded by the shekinah Presence of God, who early on learned to listen and yield to the Spirit – Samuel.
4. He became filled to overflowing and controlled by the Spirit; a pioneer and forerunner of Holy Spirit breakthrough. He led many other men and women into a profound relationship with the Spirit.
5. 1 Sam. 7:16 says that Samuel went on a regular circuit around the country to act as a Judge in disputes. He went to Bethel, Gilgal, and Mizpah – then return to his home in Ramah.
B. SCHOOLS OF THE PROPHETS
1. The Prophet Samuel evidently held worship services at his regular stopping places. Young men & women were filled with the Spirit and began to prophesy at the meetings. Eventually schools or associations of these prophets formed, geographically.
a. 1 Sam. 10:5-6. “As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place…[playing musical instruments] and they will be prophesying. 6 The Spirit of the Lord will come powerfully upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person.