Summary: Gyms have “personal trainers” to help patrons get the maximum benefit out of using the gym equipment.Christianity too has a personal trainer to help Christians be conformed to the image of Jesus -- The Holy Spirit!
THE HOLY SPIRIT OUR PERSONAL TRAINER
1. My father and I belong to the religion of Sikhism. We both wear the traditional turban and often encounter strange comments and questions. Once, in a restaurant, a child stared with amazement at my father. She finally got the courage to ask, "Are you a genie?"
2. Her mother, caught off guard, turned red in the face and apologized for the remark. But my dad took no offense and decided to humor the child.
3. He replied, "Why, yes I am. I can grant you three wishes." The child's mother blurted out, "Really?"
John 16:13, “However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.”
1. Many people have a gym membership. But few of us know how to use the vast array of equipment there.
2. So gyms have “personal trainers” to help the patrons get the maximum benefit out of using the gym equipment.
3. Christianity too has personal trainers to help Christians get into spiritual shape – to become like the master-pattern – Jesus!
4. So tonight we’re going to look at who our personal trainer is and how we can work with Him to become the men & women God wants us to be.
I. THE TRUE CHURCH: DEPENDENT ON THE HOLY SPIRIT
A. FOR ITS EXISTENCE
1. Apart from the Spirit, the Church would not exist. The life principle that characterizes the church as a living body is provided solely by the Spirit.
2. It may be said that the Spirit is incarnate in the church just as the second Person of the Godhead became incarnate in the human Jesus.
3. One may rightly consider the Day of Pentecost as a “Birth Event” paralleling that which had taken place in Bethlehem 33 years before.
B. H.S. DIRECTS, ENERGIZES THE CHURCH
1. Insofar as the church is a spiritual entity working toward the evangelization of the world, it is directed, energized, and equipped by the Spirit.
2. It has been said: “The amount of God’s power flowing out into the world is directly proportion to the opportunity given the Holy Spirit to dwell in His Church.” [L. Thomas Holdcroft]
3. Paul spoke of the multitude of converts which as a building fitly framed together “grows into a holy temple in the Lord: in whom you are builded together as a habitation of God through the Spirit” Eph. 2:22-23.
4. The Holy Spirit is the administrator of the church on the earth. “Take heed therefore unto yourselves and to all the flock over which the Holy Ghost has made you overseers” Acts 20:28.
II. HOLY SPIRIT: OUR PERSONAL TRAINER
A. JESUS’ TEACHING MINISTRY CONTINUES IN THE SPIRIT
Acts 1:1 The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
B. HOLY SPIRIT = SPIRIT OF TRUTH
1. John 14:17 “…the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.”