Summary: A discussion of the Holy Spirit, His work and function.
The Holy Spirit
A 4 year old boy was visiting his aunt’s home. She was pregnant with her first child and she allowed him to place his hand on her belly and feel the baby kick. His little face scrunched and said, "How does the baby get out of there?" She wanted to keep it simple so she said, "The doctor will help." His eyes widened in amazement as he exclaimed, "You’ve got a doctor in there, too?" APPLY: Of course, she didn’t have a Doctor inside. To get that kind of help she needed to get into her car, drive down to the Hospital, wait in the ER Room… and even when they got her into a hospital bed, she’d still have to wait until the BABY decided to come out. It would be so much easier for pregnant mothers if the doctor WERE in there helping out. The Bible tells us that God believed our lives as Christians would be so much easier if He were inside us helping us out. Read Galatians 4:4-6 with me. The Holy Spirit continues the work that Jesus started in this old sinful world! So often, we wonder “HOW?” So this morning let’s consider how the Holy Spirit continues the work of Christ in our lives!
1. The Holy History
A. The Holy Spirit was at work in the beginning as part of the Godhead – Genesis 1:1,
B. The Holy Spirit worked throughout the O.T. in the lives of God’s people:
1. He indwelt Bezalel to build the tabernacle to God’s specifications, (Exodus 31:1-3).
2. In 1 Samuel 19, the H.S. came upon King Saul & his men to make them prophesy.
C. As we read in Galatians 4:4-6, In the fullness of time Christ comes into the world
to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10) during His ministry, Christ promises that He
would send the Holy Spirit to continue His work in the world – John 14:15-17, John
2. The Holy Mission
A. First, we recognize that the H.S. has come to REVEAL truth to mankind – John 16:13
1. Man gains knowledge through his senses. (sight, taste, touch, smell, hearing) and
also through his ability to reason. But there are some things man cannot know
through his senses! Some things must be REVEALED by the H.S. - 1 Cor. 2:7-10
2. Eve’s use of her senses & reason vs. God’s revelation – Genesis 3:1-6, which was right?
3. This is why we must walk by the Spirit, because our own senses and rational abilities can
John 17:17. He reveals the truth that sanctifies through the Word, the Bible.
C. The H.S. moved the prophets, apostles, and inspired writers – 2 Peter 1:19-21, So we are
D. The apostles received a “direct” operation of the H.S. We receive an “indirect” revelation
Why? 2 Timothy 3:16-17. (HANDS ILLUSTRATION)
E. The H.S. has come to reveal the truth that will sanctify us for God’s use in this world!
3. The Holy Outcome
A. God knew we would need His help while living in this world.
B. MAGNET ILLUSTRATION – Galatians 5:22-23
C. So for God to pull out all our best, He indwells us, making our heart His home. Guiding
us through His word to accomplish the good He wants done in the world!
D. Christians are empowered to change the world for good because the Creator lives in us!
2. The Father – John 14:20-23
D. This indwelling seals us for redemption – Ephesians 1:13-14
- Have you been sealed by the H.S. of God for redemption? Acts 2:38
- You can be sealed today, by hearing the word of truth, believing it, repenting of sins, confessing that Jesus is truly the Son of God, and by being immersed for the washing away of all your sins. The Spirit, will come down, into your new heart, and make His home with you!