Summary: A look at Luke 9:57-62 at the characteristics God desires of his followers.
THE HONOR GOD SEEKS
Luke 9:57-62 Dillon Burroughs TTU Honor Society 4.02.09
The Honor God Seeks Includes…
1. Desire: “I will follow You wherever You go” (v. 57)
2. Sacrifice: “The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head” (v. 58)
3. Obedience: “Follow me” (v. 59)
4. Allegiance: “Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go” (v. 60a)
5. Passion: “Proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God” (60b)
6. Commitment: “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God” (62)
This Passage Offers the Perspectives of Three People:
Person 1: “I will follow You” A commitment without considering the cost.
Person 2: “…permit me first to go and bury my father” A commitment without full commitment.
Person 3: “I will follow You, Lord; but…” A commitment with conditions.
The Honor God Seeks…
…must consider the cost. Would you die for Christ? Would you live in obscurity or poverty for Christ?
…must include full commitment. No other priority can come first. Will you make and keep Christ your number one priority at all times?
…must abandon all conditions. Excuses are easy. Commitment is essential.