Summary: The first in the 3rd Annual Week of Renewal Series for 2006.
“The Importance of Spiritual Renewal”
First Baptist Church of Tawas City Michigan
Rev. Bruce A. Shields
Deuteronomy 30:11 – 20
”11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, "Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?" 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, "Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?" 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.
15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.
17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.
19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”
PRAYER FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT
Why is Spiritual Renewal important in the life of an active Christian?
The word of God is clear, and calls us to a standard of living that is ONLY achievable through God’s Holy Spirit within us.
We are called by God to live Holy and pleasing lives as an example in a sinful generation, walking in the Spirit.
At times, we can become more a follower to our flesh than our spirit, thus losing our ability to properly represent God’s presence here on Earth.
It is at these times in our lives we are in desperate need of a Spiritual Renewal. A refreshing of our spirit brings us back to a place where God can do a work through us and His Holy Spirit in us in this corrupt world.
Christians are supposed to be different.
1. Salt & Light
* Salt preserves: used to prevent rot and decay from food, and in this same way we are to preserve the Word of God which is Spiritual food, for man does not live by bread alone… The Word of God is our Spiritual Food, our bread of life.
* Light Illuminates: keeps darkness away. (Literally chases darkness away)
Darkness is the absence of Light. Darkness can never take light away, but light ALWAYS takes darkness away.
2. Come out from among them (the world) and be separate (not one of them)!
* How many of us are separate in the MUSIC we listen to?
* How many of us are separate in the TELEVISION and MOVIES we watch?
* How about our CONVERSATIONS?
3. CHRISTIANS ARE THE KEY TO BRINGING RENEWAL TO OUR NATION!
[This country was founded on the promises of God found in these verses. But they also contain the keys to Renewal.]
I. Seek God (Love the Lord your God v. 15)
A. Choose Life v. 19b
1. John 14:6 - “Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
2. We must be sure that we have chosen Life in Christ. (Salvation)
B. Choose the Word
1. Jeremiah 15:16 - "When your words came, I ate them and they were my joy and my hearts delight, for I bear your name , O Lord God Almighty"
2. The Word must be our Joy and Delight!
C. Choose to Search
1. Jeremiah 29:12-13 – “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
2. John 6:35 – “And Jesus said to them, `I am the bread of the life; he who is coming unto me may not hunger, and he who is believing in me may not thirst -- at any time;”