Summary: We need to look to the One who is in control, and put our trust in the miracle-working God.
In life, there are many things beyond our control.
• The terrorists’ attacks in London tell us we live in a very unpredictable, incontrollable world.
• If we can control everything, there is nothing for us to fear - We can’t, therefore we will be afraid.
We need to look to One who can… Jesus often says, do not be afraid, only believe.
How can we have peace or security in such a world? Look to the One who is in control!
We need to able to SEE this Person in our life.
We pray and seek God because He is in control – of ALL things and at ALL times!
The disciples were in a similar situation – until they saw Jesus.
We see this contrasting picture - a group of terrified disciples and a very calm Jesus.
– Disciples were losing control of the situation, while Jesus was confident and in control.
It was an uncontrollable situation
• It was “about the fourth watch of the night” (v.48) – 3 to 6am, the darkest time of the night.
• “the boat was in the middle of the lake” (v.47), not near the shore. According to John’s Gospel, it’s 5-6km away.
• “the wind was against them” (v.48); they were “straining at the oars” (v.48)
It’s like the feeling for a tiger trainer locked in a cage during a circus:
THE CIRCUS TIGERS IN THE DARK
Several years ago a televised circus act with Bengal tigers was broadcast live. Tiger trainer was locked in cage with tigers. Using chair and whip the trainer was in control. Then the lights went out... for about 20-30 seconds. Tigers could see trainer, but the trainer could not see them!
In an interview afterwards the trainer admitted to feeling the chilling fear of the situation. However, he knew the tigers didn’t know that he couldn’t see them.
"I just kept cracking my whip and talking to them until the lights came on. They never knew I could not see them as well as they could see me."
There is nothing you can really fall back on – you are completely at the mercy of the storm.
In life, this is very true – we may not feel that way until something happened.
We must learn to trust God!
The mindset change - (1) LOOK TO THE ONE WHO IS IN CONTROL
Jesus performed two miracles in ONE NIGHT – to help the disciples understand WHO He is.
• It takes a while – because Mark added one line at the end of this account:
“They were completely amazed (that Jesus can cease the storm), for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.” (v.52)
• Now they saw that the water, the wind and waves were not a problem for Jesus. He has authority over all elements. His control is absolute.
The world is not being ruled by a chance but by a God who is in control.
• Even a sparrow cannot fall without His notice. So, He cares about us.
• Nothing can happen that does not concern God.
Jesus says, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” (v.50)
The Bible says He did this IMMEDIATELY after hearing them cried out in fear.
• We have to SEE Him in order to be calm.
• The disciples did not recognise Him initially. They thought what they saw was a ghost.
• Only when you know that it’s Jesus, you’ve certain sense of confidence.