Summary: The 144,000 are shown before the Throne during the Tribulation, enthralled in the worship of Christ, and anxiously awaiting the opportunity to serve Him. The challenge for us right now is simple: "Do we live the same way, today?"
The Lamb and the 144,000
Revelation, Part 21, Revelation 14:1-5
- The economic and religious systems of the world will belong to him
- Question: How will the devil be able to control so many?
-- John 8:44, “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
- When we last looked at the book of Revelation:
-- Point in history where the anti-Christ had been given full authority
-- He controls everything on this Earth, has absolute power over everything
- We saw that he would be given power to control the world’s economy
- Also, no one who did not accept his mark (pledge total allegiance to him) would be able to buy, sell, or even eat to survive
- With all the destruction that has happened, it should amaze the believer:
-- How hard the hearts of people have become and,
-- They truly need a Savior
-- IMP: We are called to reach out to any and all who listen, immediately
- Read Revelation 14:1-5
Ω Point 1 – The 144,000
- This is an interlude to what’s happening (John is seeing Heaven again)
-- Again that John is seeing these things with his own eyes
-- The Lord is revealing to him so he can understand it
- John sees a Lamb sitting on Mount Zion – and this is Jesus Christ
-- Jesus is the sacrificial lamb given for this world
-- John is now seeing the authority that He possesses
- Look how God’s Word ties together (result of Revelation Chapter 7)
-- These 144,000 are the ones who were sealed for God’s work
-- They represent 12,000 from each of the twelve tribes of Judah
-- Before the Throne they sit in awe of the One who sits there
- There is discussion of who the 144,000 are throughout history
-- FACT: Again, these are the 12,000 from each tribe
-- Representing each of God’s people, from every tribe, nation, and tongue from the world
-- Israel is the center of it all, and they were scattered throughout history
-- This is the biblical coming together and of God’s people gathering at the Throne of Grace and Mercy
- IMP: You see, they are having church before the Throne of God!
- These 144,000 are to be understood as the laborers who were killed
-- They are about to receive their reward for their faithfulness to Jesus Christ
- Today, we have an opportunity to accept the Lord (b/c we hear the Word)
-- In eternity we will receive our reward, but these are those who accepted Jesus after the rapture – and they are about to be called into God’s work
-- IMP: More than 144,000 will be saved after the Rapture, but we will see in a moment why these are so very special to Jesus.
- Christians today have already received our calling
-- APP: We get to decide if we are going to work for the Lord or not
-- These souls are overjoyed, privileged and honored to serve
-- Challenge: Oh that we would have that kind of devotion to Jesus Christ
-- “It is amazing what can be done when we don’t care who gets the credit!”
TRANS: Let’s look for a moment at their joy before the throne …
Ω Point 2 – There is Worship in Heaven
John is hearing these 144,000 signing a new song before the throne
-- These souls have given their lives for the King of Kings
-- Before the Throne they sing a new song to Jesus Christ
- Of importance is that no one else can sing this song
-- IMP: Today we have the opportunity to sing praises … but do we?
-- These souls stand before the Lord, singing and professing their love
-- Imagine the worship in their hearts for a moment …
-- If that does not give you pause to want to worship, I believe nothing will!
- Go with me to Psalm 149:1-9 (Read)
- In God’s Word, He gives us examples of new songs sung to Him 9 times
-- With each mention, there is newer understanding as to who God is
-- There’s a deeper understanding of how amazing His Grace really is!
- Tonight, we have to model this worship in our hearts
-- We have to see that God is really THAT amazing and WE should have a need (or desire) to get this close to Him!
- These 144,000 are the FIRST FRUITS of those redeemed from Israel