Summary: The Last Enemy to be destroyed is death.
Ø Man was created to live
o Man became a living soul--Gen 2:7
o He was created for fellowship with God.
Ø Death came because of sin.
o There was only one restriction in the Garden--Gen 2:16-17
o Disobedience brought death--Rom 5:12
Ø Death is the last enemy we will face.
I. THE ENCROACHMENT OF THE ENEMY
A. Death is an enemy that stalks us all--Heb 9:27
B. This enemy may overtake you in many ways:
1. In youth or old age.
2. Naturally or by accident.
C. Some people lose the battle for life by cooperating with the enemy:
1. Accidents caused by alcohol or other drugs.
2. Smoking and other habits hasten death.
D. Many deaths are the result of violence and crime.
E. The enemy claims many lives through war or natural disaster.
II. THE ENGAGEMENT OF THE ENEMY
A. Christ came to taste death for each of us--Heb. 2:9
1. He voluntarily became lower than the angels.
2. He humbled Himself—even to death--Phil 2:5-7
B. The enemy pursued Him from the Cradle to the Cross.
C. But Christ had come to engage death on the cross.
III. THE ERADICATION OF THE ENEMY
A. Death has been defeated by the resurrection of Christ--1 Cor 15:20
1. His resurrection demonstrated His victory.
2. His resurrection guarantees our resurrection.
C. Death is defeated by the promise of the coming rapture--1 Thess 4:13-18
Ø Death will finally be destroyed.
Ø Death will be no more--Rev 21:4
Ø Are you ready for that great day?