Summary: Disappointment turns to joy for fishermen without a catch. Jesus on the shore of our difficulties. Peter forgiven, restored and commissioned.
SERIES: Miracles With a Message #8
TITLE: The Last Miracle
TEXT: John 21:1-14
INTRO: In the last several weeks, we have looked at seven miracles of Jesus, called "sign miracles" because their purpose was to inspire belief in Jesus. Today, we look at the last and greatest miracle.
I. FISHERMEN WITHOUT FISH (1-3)
A. Waiting for Jesus to Appear
1. Seven of the Apostles grew restless
2. Simon Peter said, "I go a fishing" and the others said,
"We also go with thee"
3. They probably needed food and income
B. Sometimes Our Best Efforts Fail
1. They caught nothing, in spite of being expert fishermen
2. We all face trials, tests and failures in life
3. We are not guaranteed success in everything we do
4. Sometimes God will allow us to fail so we can learn
more about depending on Him
II. A MIRACULOUS HAUL OF FISH (4-14)
A. Jesus Appeared on the Shore
1. They were tired & frustrated from fishing all night
2. They did not recognize Him
3. He is always on the shore of our difficulties
4. But we may be too busy or confused to see Him
B. He Told Them to Cast the Net on the Other Side
1. They had tried everything else, so they listened
2. They caught so many fish they couldn't pull the net in
3. John remembered a similar experience...and said,
"It is the Lord"
4. Impetuous Simon Peter jumped into the water &
III. AN INVITATION TO BREAKFAST (15-22)
-As the disciples boat neared the shore, they could see the fire and smell the baking fish.
A. Jesus Had Already Prepared Breakfast
1. It had been a long night and they were tired and
2. He invited them to come and eat breakfast
3. How many blessings of His do we overlook?
(Luke 11:11) If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
B. The Greatest Blessing Came After Breakfast
1. Jesus asks Peter a question [v.15]
2. Then He asks it again [v.16]
3. Again, the third time He asks [v.17]
4. Finally, He repeats His original call
to the Disciples [v.19]
CONCL: The last and greatest miracle was not the great catch of fish. It was the Miracle of Forgiveness!
My Father is omnipotent
And that you can’t deny;
A God of might and miracles;
'Tis written in the sky.
It took a miracle to put the stars in place;
It took a miracle to hang the world in space.
But when He saved my soul,
Cleansed and made me whole,
It took a miracle of love and grace!