Summary: The Last Supper
1. It was little known what Jesus did during the day, because it was the custom to do no work and prepare for the Passover.
2. Peter and John (new friendship) prepared for the meal.
3. How were the disciples prepared to face Passover and the cross? Sinful attitude. “There was a rivalry among them (the disciples) as to which of them should be considered the greatest” (Luke 22:24).
4. The cross did not surprise Jesus. “Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world; He loved them to the end” (John 13:1).
B. THE LAST SUPPER (JOHN 13:1-30)
1. Servant symbol. “Jesus laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself . . .began to wash the disciples’ feet” (John 13:4-5).
2. Peter refused. “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me” (John 13:8).
3. Spiritual lesson:
a. The bath - Salvation.
b. Washing of feet - daily cleansing. “He that is bathed needs only to wash his feet” (John 13:10).
4. Humility. “If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet” (John 13:14).
5. How did Jesus warn Judas?
a. “. . . you are clean, but not all of you” (John 13:10). Suggestion.
b. “He who eats bread with Me, has lifted up his heel against Me” (John 13:18). Quote Scripture.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.