Summary: The law is God’s standard showing us our need for a Savior.
1. Reading through this section of Romans, we might easily forget that Paul is pointing us to the wonderful grace of God.
• One of the reasons is that many put the discussion in an EITHER/OR situation.
• IT’S EITHER all grace and NO LAW.
• OR ALL LAW and NO GRACE.
• But Paul has taught us it’s BOTH.
• The Law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just & good!
Deuteronomy 4:8 (NKJV) 8 And what great nation is there that has such statutes and righteous judgments as are in all this law which I set before you this day?
Psalm 119:172 (NKJV) 172 My tongue shall speak of Your word, For all Your commandments are righteousness.
WAIT A MINUTE PASTOR ED, are you saying that we must keep the law in order to be saved?
• NO WAY! & Neither is Paul.
• The LAW is established by our faith for the purpose for which it was created & given:
• LAW IS God’s STANDARD showing US OUR NEED FOR A SAVIOR!
• Let’s look again at vv7-12 and see at least 4 things God does when He uses the tool of the Law in our lives:
#1 – (v7) THE LAW DEFINES FOR US WHAT SIN IS.
• Paul says he wouldn’t even had known sin except for the Law.
• Because God uses the Law to show us what sin is.
• God has declared for all of mankind, all of eternity what sin is.
• Flip back to Joshua 8:30-35
NOTE: After the children of Israel had entered into the Promised Land, just after the defeat of the city Ai, Joshua decides to bring them back to Gods’ Word. ((READ THROUGH – Key is v34))
• Flip back to Deuteronomy 27.14ff – Jump to 28:1ff
NOTE: It was clear for the children of Israel that obedience brought blessings and disobedience brought consequences.
• That’s what God’s Law does, it defines for us what sin is.
• Sin is the #1 cause of death, pain, suffering, and sorrow.
• It creeps into houses, into cubicles, through the lives of those who choose it.
BUT WHO DEFINES SIN? God does.
• Society can’t define sin because the norms & morals of societies across the globe are unholy!
• Politicians cave into public pressure and high paid lobbyists.
• People clamor for looseness to approve of their own bad behaviors. We are living in a day much like that of the Judges.
Judges 17:6 (NKJV) 6 In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes.
NOTE: That’s why when movies that uplift and glorify sinful sexual behaviors come out and make millions and win awards.
• Some of the population says, “Oh, that’s good, that’s great.”
• And another person says, “Oh, not that’s not good.”
• We need a Book that tells us what is good & what is right!
THAT’S WHY I’M SO THANKFUL FOR the Word of God!
• It reveals what sin is and helps us to avoid it altogether!
• It shows me what sexual sins are, what societal sins are, what personal sins are, what public sins are, private sins are.
• Look back to 1:28-32
WOW, it’s not only those that do them, but also those that approve of those that do them! Sin is far reaching, even into the depths of our hearts and motives!
• How do we know? God has shown us in His Word.
Micah 6:8 (NKJV) 8 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?