Summary: The Word of God is powerful and can transform your life today.
THE LIFE-TRANSFORMING WORD OF GOD
INTRO TO TOPIC: I love the Bible.
• When I discovered that God had written a book, I had an unquenchable hunger to read it.
• It helped me to grow spiritually, developed my faith, increased my knowledge of God.
• I want to stir up your heart to get into the Bible for yourself today.
“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword.” (Hebrews 4:12).
“They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb.” (Psalm 19:10).
THE BIG IDEA: The Word of God is powerful and can transform your life today.
1. THE BOY KING: JOSIAH
• Let’s look at someone who was radically changed by the Word:
• This is one of the exciting stories in the Bible – of finding a lost treasure!
• Josiah was an 8 year old boy whose grandpa Manasseh was the most wicked King in Judah; who led the nation into idolatry and even sacrificed children.
• He was a boy whose dad Amon became king when Josiah was 6, but Amon was so wicked he was assassinated two years later by his own servants.
• Josiah was raised in hell and didn’t have good examples in his life, but he didn’t have a victim mentality, and refused to become just like his biological dad.
“Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned thirty-one years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jedidah the daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath.” (2 Kings 22:1).
• I love this story because it shows me that God can use young people, too!
“And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the ways of his father David; he did not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.” (2 Kings 22:2).
• David wasn’t his biological dad – David was his great, great, great, great grandfather, and Josiah chose him for a role-model instead of his own parents.
“Now it came to pass, in the eighteenth year of King Josiah, that the king sent Shaphan the scribe, the son of Azaliah, the son of Meshullam, to the house of the Lord.” (2 Kings 22:3).
• paraphrase v. 4-7: Josiah told Shaphan to help rebuild the house of the Lord.
2. THE TREASURE: THE BIBLE!
“Then Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the scribe, "I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the Lord." And Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, and he read it. So Shaphan the scribe went to the king, bringing the king word, saying, "Your servants have gathered the money that was found in the house, and have delivered it into the hand of those who do the work, who oversee the house of the Lord." Then Shaphan the scribe showed the king, saying, "Hilkiah the priest has given me a book." And Shaphan read it before the king.” (2 Kings 22:8-10).
• The treasure Josiah found in the house of the Lord was the BIBLE!
• When Josiah got a hold of the Word of God, it changed Josiah’s life!
• You don’t have to be just like your dad, or be bound by anything in your past!
3. THE RESPONSE: REPENTANCE
“Now it happened, when the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, that he tore his clothes. Then the king commanded Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam the son of Shaphan, Achbor the son of Michaiah, Shaphan the scribe, and Asaiah a servant of the king, saying, "Go, inquire of the Lord for me, for the people and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that has been found; for great is the wrath of the Lord that is aroused against us, because our fathers have not obeyed the words of this book, to do according to all that is written concerning us.” (2 Kings 22:11-13).