Summary: The light within us is beautiful and exposes darkness, because it is God within us.
The Light That Is Within Us
Preached at the Laurel Church of Christ
On October 27, 2002
I. The Arkansas Ice Storm 2000
A. It had been many years since we had seen a sever ice storm.
1. Previously, in Kansas we had weathered a blizzard for the first time we could remember.
2. This ice storm, though, was nothing like Kansas
3. It came about two weeks before Christmas and onslaughted the region with a slight drizzle.
4. After a full day of freezing drizzle, the trees began to bend.
B. It wasn’t long before three fourths of the state was without power.
1. Some people were without power for just a few hours
2. Others were without power for a couple of weeks
3. And even others that would go from December to April without power.
C. Darkness was a reality that each person dealt with on a daily basis.
1. Without the electricity, and the common conveniences people began to realize just how important light is in our lives.
2. I remember going to Stuttgart, the next Sunday in total awe over just how many power lines were down.
3. It was an hour and a half trip, and only the first fifteen minutes of that trip included power lines that were still standing.
D. Darkness is scary and a reality after the sun goes down.
II. The Laurel Church of Christ is the light in a dark world, because Jesus shines in our hearts.
A. Light is important, and the source is a real issue, when modern conveniences are taken from us.
B. Each Christian has a light that shines in the darkness, because Jesus has encamped within our hearts.
1. It is through truth that Jesus is revealed
2. People see our lights, when we are courteous and kind.
3. People see our lights when we are benevolent and helpful.
III. 2 Corinthians 4:1-6
A. "Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
B. God has given us a ministry of reconciliation, to reveal the darkness of sin by shedding the light of the truth upon each individual.
1. It is our duty to understand and apply what it means to be the light of the world.
C. Unbelievers are blind to the truth, because God has brought a veil over their hearts.
D. God has made Jesus shine in our hearts to remove the veil of concealment from their hearts.
I. The Light that is within us is beautiful.
A. Our light is like the sunrise.