Summary: There is an invisible spirit realm that surrounds us, populated by good spirits called angels, and evil spirits called demons. What are angels and demons? What are they doing in the earth TODAY?
SUPERNATURAL #7: THE LORD’S ANGELIC ARMY
INTRO: We’ve been studying the Book of Acts, the blueprint for the “Supernatural” Church. One of the things Acts reveals to us is that there is an invisible spirit realm that surrounds us, populated by good spirits called angels, and evil spirits called demons.
THE FIRST ANGEL STORY IN ACTS:
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:8-11).
ANGELS IN ACTS:
5:19 - an angel opened the prison doors and brought the apostles out
8:26 - an angel appeared to Philip and gave him directions for ministry
10:3 - an angel appeared to Cornelius in a vision and gave him directions
12:7 - an angel freed Peter from prison
12:23 - an angel struck Herod and killed him because he didn’t glorify God
27:23 - an angel stood by Paul at night and encouraged him in a storm
WHAT IS AN ANGEL?
- OT Hebrew name “malak” = ambassador or deputy
- NT Greek name “angelos” = messenger
1. Angels are not cute little naked babies with wings, they are MIGHTY WARRIORS.
CS Lewis wrote, “Fra Angelico’s angels carry in their face and gesture the peace and authority of heaven. Later come the chubby infantile nudes of Raphael; finally the soft, slim, girlish, and consolatory angels of nineteenth century art… In Scripture the visitation of an angel is always alarming; it has to begin by saying, “Fear not.” The Victorian angel looks as if it were going to say, “There, there.”
(The Screwtape Letters).
2. Angels are spirits CREATED by God; people do not evolve into angels when they die (Ps. 148:1-5).
PROFILE OF AN ANGEL:
1. Some angels have wings - but not all do.
2. Some angels appear dressed in white garments (Acts 1:9-11).
3. Some angels play musical instruments (see Rev. 8 - trumpets yes, harps no!)
4. Some angels have the appearance of men. “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have entertained angels unaware.” (Hebrews 13:2).
5. Angels may be present and unperceived at any time (see 2 Kings 6:15-17).
DIFFERENT KINDS OF ANGELS:
ARCHANGELS: CHIEF angels. Michael, Gabriel, and Lucifer (who fell and became Satan). (see 1 Thess. 4:16 & Rev. 12:7).
CHERUBIM & SERAPHIM: First mention of cherubim in Gen. 3:24 was the angel with the flaming sword that guarded the tree of life. The seraphim in Isaiah 6 have six wings.
THE THREE MAIN FUNCTIONS OF ANGELS:
1. SERVICE to God. “Praise Him, all His angels, praise Him, all His hosts.” (Ps. 148:2). Angels are created beings, and God is the Creator. Their first function is toward God.