Summary: David is proclaiming that the Lord chose him, when he made the statement, ’He liked me to make me king over all of Israel.’ He encourages Solomon by a number of ways and finishes off by reminding Solomon and Israel that God knows all men’s hearts. If He
1 Chronicles 28:4 – 9
The Lord’s Desires For You
A. In today’s passage, David is coming to the end of his journey as King of Israel.
B. A number of things have happened up to this point and we won’t take time to cover all of them.
C. There are some things we will cover briefly;
1. David had lost two sons.
1. Absalom, who had tried to kill David also, for selfish reasons, had killed Amnon.
2. Amnon had done a totally wrong by acting upon feelings he had for his sister. He loved her and was vexed for her.
3. He raped her.
b. Absalom decided to take things in his own hands and died doing it.
1. The scripture says that he was a very good-looking man with beautiful hair.
2. We are also told that he had won the hearts of Israel, by deception too.
3. He set up Amnon and tried to set up David, to kill them both.
4. He successfully killed Amnon, but did not kill David, even though he tried hard.
5. He met His death by getting hung in an oak tree by his hair and being stabbed in the heart with darts. The scripture says that David’s army finished him off.
2. David has been brought back to Jerusalem by the tribe of Judah
3. He is currently passing the crown down to another son.
4. The temple had to be built, but the Lord told David he could not build it because David was a man of war and had shed blood.
D. The Lord chose a son of David to build the temple; his name was Solomon.
E. David is proclaiming this to Israel and starts by proclaiming that the Lord had chosen him above his whole family to be king of Israel forever.
F. Let’s look at some things you should know and do when God chooses you.
A GOD CHOSEN MAN PROCLAIMS GOD’S LOVE. VS. 4
A. David felt honored because the Lord had chosen him to be king over Israel.
B. In the New Testament, Jesus told the disciples they were going to be as kings.
C. David makes a statement here that we should look at; ‘He liked me to make me king over all of Israel.’
1. He liked Him.
2. He didn’t just like him; He loved Him.
3. It is claimed in the scripture, that David was a man after God’s own heart.
D. You need to know that God loves you.
1. It is His desire to make you as a king.
2. It is His desire that you should be saved.
3. It is Hid desire that none should perish but have everlasting life.
E. It is so much His desire for you that he sent His Only Begotten Son to take your place on the cross so you might be saved.
F. We also see in verse 6 that the Lord proclaimed, “For I have chosen him to be my son.”
G. You were chosen to be saved, we have all been chosen to be saved, it is up to you to accept what God has chosen for you.
H. If you chose Christ he will be your father too. Vs. 6
A GOD CHOSEN MAN’S KINGDOM IS ESTABLISHED FOREVER. Vs. 7
A. This is probably one of the prettiest pictures in this passage.
B. This is a rebuttal to those who don’t believe in eternal security.
C. “MOREOVER I WILL ESTABLISH HIS KINGDOM FOREVER”
1. When the Lord does something, He does it quickly.
2. He does not need man to do anything when He does it.
3. He wants us to serve Him and worship Him, but when He saves a person, He establishes His Kingdom forever. FOREVER IS NEVER ENDING!