Summary: We celebrate a 2,000 year old Christian custom as old as Christianity. Jesus gave the church only two ordinances: Baptism and Lord’s Supper. The Lord's Supper originated with Jesus on the eve of His crucifixion. Paul taught truths to help us understand th
Intro: We celebrate a 2,000 year old Christian custom as old as Christianity. Jesus gave the church only two ordinances: Baptism and Lord’s Supper. The Lord's Supper originated with Jesus on the eve of His crucifixion (Matt. 26:26-28). Paul taught truths to help us understand the Lord's Supper better.
I. IT IS A SYMBOLIC SERVICE (vv. 24-26)
A. Cf. Luke 22:19. These two passages teach us that the Lord's Supper is a memorial. It is not a “sacrament” (Explain).
B. In our Lord's Supper tonight, we are to remember –
1. A Representative Lord (vv. 24-25). The bread and wine represent the broken body and shed blood of Christ. Remember the terrible price Jesus paid to save our souls. Remember that when He died on the cross, He was dying in your place and suffered greatly for you (Isa. 52:14). (Illust: The Bike). Never let the Lord’s Supper become mere ritual.
2. A Resurrected Lord (v.26). As we take the bread and wine, remember that Christ died, but that three days later, He arose from the dead. He is alive forever more! (Rev. 1:18)
3. A Returning Lord (v.26). After Jesus rose from the dead, He ascended to Heaven and sat down at His Father's right hand. He waits for the day when He returns to earth to receive His people. Each time we take the Lord's Supper, we declare to the world that we wait for a returning Lord. Christ’s return should be a reason for us to live pure (I John 3:1-3).
II. IT IS A SPECIAL SERVICE (vv. 27-34). The Lord's Supper offers us an opportunity to come together. Five times (vv. 17, 18, 20, 33, & 34) Paul refers to the "coming together" of the church. Anytime Christians gather and focus on Jesus is a special time. While we are together, there are two things we must do before coming to the Lord's Supper. This service is special to us because we can do two good things.
A. We Have the Opportunity to Repent. Before we even touch the bread and wine, and partake of the Lord's Supper, we need to search our hearts, confess, and repent of our sins. There are two things that we need to deal with:
1. Our Selfishness (vv. 17-22). When we come to the Lord's Supper, we need to think not just ourselves, but also the benefit of our brethren in Christ. (JOY=Jesus, Others, You) God help us to remember others and repent of our selfishness.
2. Our Sins (vv. 27-30). This passage show a serious aspect of the Lord's Supper. The Corinthians were guilty of taking the Lord's Supper lightly. As a result, some of them were sick and others had died. Before we partake from the Lord's Supper, please take time to examine yourself, confess your sins, and receive forgiveness from the Lord (I John 1:9).
B. We Have The Opportunity To Renew. The Lord's Supper is a time for a Christian to renew his fellowship and commitment to God. Many allow sin to enter their lives and hinder their relationship with God. This is a good time to get all of our mess fixed and be revived in our walk with the Lord.
III. IT IS A SERIOUS SERVICE (vv. 28-30). Verse 28 tells us that we must examine ourselves. It is a command and not an option! Before taking the Lord's Supper, you must –
A. Be Sure You Are Saved. This is a service for Christians. If you are unsaved, you cannot understand or appreciate what we are doing here tonight. If you are unsaved or unsure, then I want to invite you to come to Jesus and be saved today.
B. Be Sure You Are Right With The Lord. If you are saved, then be sure you examine yourself and that you confess your sins before the Lord. He will hear you, receive you, forgive you, and make you ready to receive the Lord's Supper.
C. Be Sure You Take It In The Right Spirit. This is also a time of worship and not a time to take things lightly. Please focus your heart and mind on the Lord and do your best to be in communion with Him as you receive His Supper.
Conclusion: Friend, if you are unsaved and God has spoken to your heart tonight through this message, then I invite you to call upon the Lord now and ask Him to be your Lord and Saviour and save you from Hell. If you are already saved, please examine yourself seriously and do what you must do. So, the decision is now yours… Will you meet with God in this place? Will you meet with God right now?