Summary: How to regain your joy.
THE LOST SONG IN A BACKSLIDER’S LIFE Text: Psalm 137:1-7
INTRODUCTION: Here is a song soaked with tears. A backslidden people have lost their ability to sing the Lord’s song. The harps that were dedicated to give praise to God are silent now by the River of Babylon (world). The harps of witnessing, prayer, fellowship and praise in worship hang on the willows of the world.
I. THE REASON FOR SILENT HARPS IN THE BACKSLIDER’S LIFE
1. They were out of place. v-1 (world) (Nation Babylon) (I Cor. 6:17) But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
(a) They are out of place because of their sin.
(b) Their song is useless out of place.
2. They were out of position. v-1 (Sat down) (Psalm 1:1) Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
(a) They sat down among their enemies.
(b) They settled down in their positions.
3. They were out of practice. (Had not played for some time)
(a) Many have forgotten how to praise God.
(b) Many have forgotten how to Witness unto their Salvation.
4. They were out of plans. (Hung harps up out of reach)
(a) Their harps (talent) were placed out of their reach.
(b) They no longer planned to play them.
II. THE RESULT OF SILENT HARPS IN THE BACKSLIDER’S LIFE
1. Silent harps brought sorrow (remorse) to the backslider’s life.
(a) The music of Babylon could give fun in life.
(b) Only the dedicated harps of God can give joy to a soul.
2. Silent harps cannot meet the requirements of the lost.
(a) The lost require a testimony from the saved.
(b) They wait for the Lord’s song to start in the saved.
3. Silent harps bring grief to the heart of God. (Eph. 4:30) And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
(a) It pleases God for His children to have joy.
(b) It grieves God for His children to be without joy.
III. THE REMEDY FOR SILENT HARPS IN THE BACKSLIDER’S LIFE. (How)
1. Remember your experience of salvation. (“When we remembered Zion”)
(a) Remember how God found you (Israel in Egypt).
(b) Remember how God saved you. (By His grace) (AT CALVARY)
(c) Remember why God saved you. (To worship Him)
2. Remember your past fellowship with God.
3. Remember you have a way back to your harp.