Summary: God demonstrated His immeasureable love to us at Calvary
Intro. We have made it through another Easter season. If there is ever a time we see the love of God, it is this time of year. If we are not careful, we will take the TRUTH of the Death, Burial and resurrection of Christ for granted. How Big is our God? How much do we believe He loves us?
And though we cannot measure this love, we can by faith, enjoy this love!
As the poet wrote the beautiful words that were later put to music:
“Could we with ink, the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made,
were every stalk on earth a quill and every man a scribe by trade, to write the love of God above, would drain the oceans dry, nor could the scroll, contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky.”
I. The Declaration of the Scriptures - Eph. 3:14-20 Paul was concerned for the church, and wanted them to know the love of God, and understand it more. Why?
A. To be Reinforced by the Power of God -vs. 16 (strengthened - to make strong)
1. Plentiful Strength (according to God’s riches)
2. Powerful Strength- (might is the same word as power in Acts 1:8)
3. Prevailing Strength- (Control of the inner man)
We do not have to make excuses for failure in our Christian lives - Yes, we will have battles, and weaknesses, and struggles - But God will reinforce us through love.
B. To be Rooted in the Love of God - vs. 17
1. Abiding in His Fellowship- Christ may dwell- He taught the same principle in John 15:4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me."
2. Attached Firmly to the Source - We then have a double metaphor
- one based on agriculture - rooted, fixed as a tree deep in rich soil
- one based on architecture - grounded, foundation - set on the Rock.
C. To Realize (comprehend) the Love of God - vs. 18 (Impossible in the flesh) When Paul wrote to the church, He desired for them to be able to grasp the reality of the Love of God. It is as if the Apostle Paul stepped into a science class to declare his desire for God’s people to learn the Love of God. Science will measure things by space and time. In Eph. 3, Paul uses the infinite vastness of the universe to describe God’s love - vs. 18
- Length reaches from one eternity to another;
- Breadth to all in all ages, places, and nations;
- Depth to those in the lowest state of sin;
- Height to take us to an exalted state in glory. It cannot be measured!
One of the early church leaders described his feelings on the love of God “I am like a man digging in a deep spring; I stand here, and the water riseth upon me; I stand there, and still the water riseth upon me. But though we cannot ever know it all, yet we may and must grow in the knowledge of this love of Christ, in the searching of this sea that hath neither bank nor bottom; ..."the deeper the sweeter."
D. To be Resolved in the Love of God - vs. 19
1. Resolved in our Knowledge - "Know" means to feel and perceive. We are not saved by feelings, but we can feel God’s presence if we are FILLED! So close to the Lord that we know His presence and compassion in our lives. This exceeds man’s reasoning! But we can be resolved in His love.
2. Resolved in His Control - Be Filled - Fulness is the word used to say that ship was completely manned with a full crew and all needed equipment. Completely controlled by God (possible or it would not be commanded!)
E. To be Rested in the Love of God - vs. 20-21
1. An Unwavering Faith - vs. 20
- In God’s Ability - HE IS ABLE
Lewis: "Miracles are an interference with nature by supernatural power.” God is able! "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us"
- In God’s Attentiveness - (Ask or Think)
- In God’s Authority - His Power In Us
2. A Worthy God - vs. 21
- His Glory is for Him - Unto Him and him alone
- His Glory is by Him - He has given us the right and ability to praise Him.
- His Glory is Like Him - FOREVER AND EVER.
And then Paul declares - AMEN! - This is true!, That’s right, That’s what I’m talkin’ about - the Magnificent love of God is Declared in the Scriptures!