Summary: The purpose of this sermon is to inspire men to fear God and keep His commands
Men of God
June 15, 2003
A. [THE FATHER’S DAY TOP TEN LIST OF THINGS YOU’VE BEEN ITCHIN’TO SAY FOR YEARS NOW...]
We often hear "the rules" from the feminine side.
Ok- well now hear the guys’ side - it’s only fair (realizing of course that Father’s Day is the only day of the year we could get away with it!)
#10 Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.
#9 Shopping is NOT a sport, and no, we are never going to think of it that way.
#8 Sunday = sports. It’s like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.
#7 “Yes” and “No” are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.
#6 Check your oil! Please, check your oil!
#5 Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all past comments become null and void after 7 days.
#4 If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.
#3 If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," we will act like nothing’s wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.
#2 ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.
#1 Christopher Columbus did not need directions, and neither do we…
B. Today I want to take a break from 1 Corinthians and turn to Psalm 112.
C. Psalms 112:1, Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands.
D. 10 characteristics of Godly men…
Psalms 112:2, His children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.
A. The Psalmist says that the man who fears the Lord and finds delight in His commands will have mighty children.
1. Now I must say that there are many who have a problem with the word fear and they want to say that it really means reverence or awe.
2. However the Hebrew word actually means both.
3. God is someone to be revered and respected.
4. And God is someone to be feared because of His awesomeness.
5. And the psalm says the man who fears God for who He is will have mighty children.
6. The man who takes great delight in Gods commands will have mighty children.
B. A man’s posterity is all of his descendents and succeeding generations.
C. There is a phenomenon taking place in this area that not many people recognize.
1. That phenomenon is referred to as a generational curse.
2. Perhaps you recall that one of the Ten Commandments says this as recorded in Exodus 20:5 (NIV), You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
3. You can see this vividly today, if you know what you are looking for.
4. Usually children who grow up in a broken home grow up to have broken homes.
5. Children whose parents get divorced usually experience divorce themselves.
6. Children who grow up in poverty usually raise their children in poverty.