Summary: Re-establishing Commitment Based Christianity Into The Church
I know that in the heart of every believer is the desire to mature … it is the desire to grow in their faith … and in our lives in this sanctuary I believe that our desire is to know CHRIST MORE!
I also feel that many believers, however, are lacking in the pre-requisite to maturity … RESPONSIBILITY!
You see, I have seen many things in Pentecostal/Charismatic believers … and one of the things that always agitated me growing up in Pentecost was how easily believers could let go of their responsibilities for the emotional buzz.
I do believe that everyone has been commissioned for responsibility!
God has given to every person a duty or a job to accomplish! But only those who are responsible will accomplish those duties!
The ancient Romans had a tradition: whenever one of their engineers constructed an arch … as the capstone, or the final center stone, was hosted into its place, the engineer assumed responsibility for his work in the most profound way possible … he stood on the top of the arch!
Now, friend, I want to say this delicately … how many of us can stand on the arch of our family knowing that it will be secure? How many of us could stand on the arch of our marriage knowing that it would not crumble, because we have held to our responsibilities?
Marriages fail because our responsibilities are no longer taken seriously!
Believers turn their backs on God because they lose sight of their responsibilities and commitment!
Parents abuse their children because they neglect their responsibilities of parenting!
Children disobey their parents because responsibility is unclear or they no longer like the responsibility!
It is my prayer that everyone in the sanctuary can stand on the ARCH of every area of their and know that it will not crumble! How? By realizing that carried out responsibilities always equal God’s intervention!
How real that is. When you are faithful in your job … in your work … in your duties … God will honor you!
Proverbs 12:11 reads, “Hard work means prosperity …”
And, friend, hard work is ONLY accomplished by those who take their work seriously!
God wants your family life to proper! God wants your employment life to prosper! God wants you children to prosper! God wants your spiritual health to grow!
But if you do not carry out your responsibilities in those areas it is almost as if you tie the hands of God in your life!
Proverbs 14:23 declares, “Work brings profit, but mere talk leads to poverty.”
We brake the bank in our family, in our church, in our children, and so many other areas because we talk a lot, but do little with responsibility!
Abraham Lincoln once said, “You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”
RESPONSIBILITY IS GOD’S IDEA!
God did not create Adam and Eve to let them do anything that they pleased! They had responsibilities!
Adam and Eve had the first recorded job description …
2. Animal Responsibilities – name and care for every animal (Genesis 2:19).
3. Marital Responsibilities – become one with one another without shame (Genesis 2:24).
What happened when they broke their responsibilities? They were ejected from the Garden of Eden and missed out on God’s best!
Elbert Hubbard has been quoted as saying, “Responsibility is the price of freedom.”
If Adam and Eve had maintained their responsibilities they would have continued to have that close union of walking with God, instead they lost out!
The priests of the Old Testament had a job description … (see Leviticus chapters 1-12)
1. Offering Responsibilities – to know what was needed to fulfill every offering … Grain Offering, Sin Offering, Peace Offering, Guilt Offering, Burnt Offering, and the Ordination Offering.
2. Conduct Responsibilities – never drink wine before going into the Temple … determine what is holy and what is evil … abstain from every form of sin.
3. Public Responsibilities – to be God’s spokesperson … to teach the people the Laws of God … to offer sacrifices for the people … to bless the people … and to confront the people.
What happened to the priest who failed in their responsibilities? DEAD, DISHONORED, OR DISCONNECTED.
The leaders of the New Testament Church had a job description … (see 1 Timothy 3:1-6)
1. Their lifestyle must not have any contradictions.
2. They must be faithful to their spouse.
3. They should exhibit self-control, live wisely and have a good reputation.
4. They should entertain guests in their home and be able to teach
5. They should not be a heavy drinker … should be peace loving and gentle.