Summary: This message deals with the meaning of the new birth as recorded in John chapter 3.
TEXT: John 3:1-21
ETS: Jesus instructs Nicodemus about the “New Birth”.
ESS: The Term, “Born Again” is rich in meaning.
OSS: Those who have never been born again will choose to be.
PQ: What does it mean to be “Born Again”?
TITLE:# “The Meaning of the New Birth”
Series: “BACK TO THE BASICS”
What does it mean to be “Born Again”? Notice seven facts that this passage of scripture makes clear.
I. A SPIRITUAL BIRTH HAS OCCURRED (VSS. 1-6).
A. It is a spiritual birth that all men need (vss. 3,5).
1. Can’t get into heaven without it (Rev. 20:15; 21:27).
B. It is different than the physical birth (v.6).
1. They are two separate events in the life of a person.
* Saul of Tarsus experienced the New birth (Acts 9:1-7)
* The Ethiopian Eunich experienced the new birth (Acts 8:27 - ?).
II. A LIFE HAS BEEN CHANGED BY GOD (VS. 8).
A. A new creature has been created in Christ Jesus.
1. The old one is gone, the new one has come (2 Cor. 5:17).
a. It is a necessary experience (Gal. 6:15).
*Mel Trotter’s Conversion
B. Can’t see it happen, but can see the effects (v.8b).
1. Like the wind.
III. CONDEMNATION IS ERRASED (V. 18).
A. Unbelief guarantees Condemnation.
1. The unbeliever is already condemned.
a. Because of rejecting Christ.
b. Because of rejecting the Father’s testimony (1 John 5:9-13).
B. The believer has escaped condemnation (Jn. 5:24; Rom. 8:1).
1. condemnation = death (Rom. 6:23).
2. The new birth reverses the process (Eph. 2:1).
IV. A LIFE HAS BEEN SAVED (V.17).
*Term “saved” used 57 times in the New Testament.
A. God’s purpose is to save the lost Luke 19:10).
1. He is not willing that any should perish. (2 Pet. 3:9)
B. You must be saved through Jesus (Acts 4:12).
1. there is no other way (Jn. 14:6).
C. You will be saved from eternal death (Jas. 5:20).
V. ETERNAL LIFE HAS BEEN GUARANTEED (VSS.14-16).
A. It has been purchased by Jesus on the Cross (v. 14).
1. Jesus’ death was substitutionary (1 Pet. 3:18; 2 Cor. 5:21)
*Picture of the O.T. Sacrificial Lamb (Jn. 1:29).
B. The life He gives is eternal life (vss. 15,16).
1. Eternal life = perpetual, never ending life.
2. Guaranteed by the Holy Spirit (Eph. 1:13).
VI. A LIFE OF GOD’S WORKS HAS BEGUN (V. 21).
A. Works that are the purpose of the believer (Eph. 2:10).
1. Produces a life pleasing to God (1 Thess. 4:1)
2. a life that testifies of God (Matt. 5:16).
Works done in the power of God ( Phil. 2:13).
VII. THE PERSON IS GOING TO HEAVEN (VSS. 3,5).
A. The believer is a citizen of heaven (Phil. 3:20).
1. He is a pilgrim here (1 Pet. 2:11).
B. His name is recorded in Heaven (Lk. 10:20; Phil. 4:3; Rev. 20:12,15).