Summary: THE MESSAGE OF THE EASTER ANGEL
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
Easter 20 April 2014
THE MESSAGE OF THE EASTER ANGEL
Intro: Throughout the Bible, God used angels to make special announcements to humans.
For instance, He used an angel to:
• Send a message of destruction to Lot/Sodom – Gen. 19
• Announce/birth of Samson – Jgd. 13
• birth of John the Baptist – Luke 1
• conception of Christ – Luke 1:11
• birth of Christ – Luke 2:8-14
Seems/when God/announcement/extreme importance
• He often sends that message through an angel.
• From reading the Bible
• makes you wonder if angels ever get a day off!
In our text/presented/angel made an announcement still echoes throughout the universe almost 2,000 years later.
• Special message/Easter angel/I want us/consider/morning
On that first Easter morning
• dawn was breaking on a world that was forever changed
• special angel delivered a special message
• Message/still vital today.
• Take just/few moments to hear/message/Easter angel.
Fear and dread filled/hearts/band of woman/ made their way through/still/dark streets of Jerusalem early/Sunday morning
• Going/tomb/man they/all believed/Messiah
• Man/whom they had left all other things behind
• Going/tomb/man who had promised life/all who came unto Him
• but who was now, Himself, dead
Certainly, they were confused/confounded/came near the tomb.
• They were concerned/huge stone/covered/door/tomb.
• How would they ever gain access to the body?
How could these three women ever hope to move a stone that weighed several hundred pounds?
• Yet they proceeded, carried along by their tender mission, that of finishing the preparations for burial of the body of Christ.
As they came within sight of the tomb/they were astounded tosee
• Stone rolled away
• Roman guards lying like dead men all around/mouth/tomb
They ran to the tomb and looked in, only to find that the body of Jesus was gone.
• What fear must have gripped their hearts!
• Jewish rulers/the Romans/taken/body to prevent His Disciples from faking His resurrection.
• Maybe/grave robbers had taken/body
• Would use it in some extortion plot.
Whatever the doubts and concerns that may have filled their hearts, they were short lived.
• Suddenly, the women noticed a "young man" sitting upon the stone, Matt. 28:2-3
• Angel sees their fear/begins to speak to them.
• He delivers a message of hope still has the power to change lives this morning.
• Let’s listen in and hear for ourselves
• "The Message Of The Easter Angel."
It is a message of:
I. v. 6a PEACE ("Be not Affrighted")
Fear these ladies must have felt upon seeing the angel
• What grace/first words from his lips are words of peace.
• Yet, this/how/Lord always deals with His people 2 Tim. 1:7.
Very appropriate/His resurrection should be attended with a message of peace.