Summary: A message exploring Mary’s song of praise recorded in Luke 1:46f.
INTRODUCTION: Example of life not always working out based upon our expectations.
KEY THOUGHT: Mary’s song of praise should serve as a REMINDER that God is worthy of our praise because of WHO HE IS regardless of our CIRCUMSTANCES.
THREE REASONS WHY HE IS WORTHY OF PRAISE
I. God is MINDFUL of His people. (v 48)
A. The SOVEREIGNTY of the Savior (accurate reality)
1. "look upon" = look attentively w/ implication of personal concern
2. Refers to God’s in His loving care in selecting Mary
3. Luke 9:38 – Jesus’ compassion re: sick son
B. The HUMILITY of the servant (appropriate response)
1. “low/humble estate” – bride of a carpenter & the mother of the Messiah.
2. “from now on” key phrase in Luke’s writings. Indicates that a significant moment has taken place in God’s plan so that “from now on” things will be different.
3. She recognizes that once she has been touched by the graciousness of God, things are different.
ILLUSTRATION: DARING TO LIVE ON THE EDGE (pp. 30-31)
KEY: BECAUSE HE IS MINDFUL, I AM NOT FORGOTTEN
II. God is MIGHTY for His people (v 49)
A. God is mighty in POWER
1. Personal testimony of Mary
2. OT, title Mighty One often used to describe warrior God who fights on behalf of His people & delivers them.
3. OT Examples
B. God is mighty in PRESENCE
1. His power demonstrates His authority as exalted, holy ruler
2. Not moral holiness in this hymn, God’s holiness as a deliverer… humbled by holiness… awed by Holiness of God
ILLUSTRATION: GEOFFREY BULL (British Missionary to China)
KEY: BECAUSE HE IS MIGHTY, HE WILL NOT FAIL ME
III. God is MERCIFUL toward His people (vv 50-54)
[Past & Future Meaning]
A. The POWER of His mercy (51-52)
1. Strong Arm of the Lord often used in OT to describe God’s work, especially in the exodus (Ex. 6:1,6; Deut 3:24, 7:19)
2. Contrast Proud/Humble
3. Proud = thoughts of their heart… center of feeling… basis of reasoning… proud are those who see no need for God nor for treating others with compassion…
4. Luke 18:9-14 – whom God accepts & does not accept
B. The PROVISION of His mercy (53)
1. Consistent reminder throughout Scripture, the poor will be filled by God. 1 Sam 2; Psalm 107 & 146.
2. Ex. Lazarus & rich man Luke 16:19-31
3. Rich man’s self-focus reflects his lack of faith & his lack of spiritual awareness before God to whom he is responsible.
4. Mary’s song exalts those who fear God.
C. The PROMISE of His mercy
1. possible inclusio – v 50, 54 – His mercy
2. mercy = Hebrew HeSeD = God’s covenant mercy & loyal love for His people.
3. God’s actions are motivated by His character not our consistency or lack thereof.
KEY: BECAUSE HE IS MERCIFUL, I CAN BE FORGIVEN