Summary: The prophet Jeremiah gives us a vivid description of the condition of the earth during the thousand year period.
A. THE BIBLE MILLENNIUM
1. The word "Millennium" is not found in the Bible:
2. It is of theological origin and signifies a period of one thousand years: Rev. 20:2, 4, 5, 7
B. THE BIBLE MILLENNIUM AND THE EVENTS CONNECTED WITH IT
1. The opening events of the one thousand years as spoken of in Bible prophecy:
a. Satan will be bound and cast into the bottomless pit.
b. His imprisonment will last one thousand years; spoken of in Isaiah as "many days" - Isa. 24:22
2. The victorious saints will be occupied with sitting in judgment over Satan, his angels, and the wicked:
a. Daniel saw this scene - Dan. 7:22
b. John confirmed this vision as seen by Daniel -Rev. 20:4
c. Paul, too, foretold of this work by the redeemed -1 Cor. 6:1-6
3. The Millennium, or the binding of Satan, begins with the second coming of Jesus Christ:
a. Satan is bound by a chain of events that are connected with the second coming of Christ.
b. When Christ comes, the dead in Christ are raised -1 Thess. 4:13-17; 1 Cor. 15:22, 23; John 5:28, 29
c. All the saints are removed from the earth to the third heaven. Compare John 14:1-3 with 1 Thess. 4:13-17
d. The living wicked will be slain by the breath of the Son of God at His appearing. Compare 2 Thess. 1:7, 8 with Rev. 19:15
4. These events bind Satan; he has no one to tempt or to torment or to use against God:
a. He is bound by a chain of events which he cannot break.
b. He is confined to this earth.
5. The earth, during the thousand years, will be in a desolate condition:
a. The prophet Jeremiah gives us a vivid description of the condition of the earth during the thousand year period. Compare Jer. 4:23-25 with chapter 25:31-38
b. The heavenly constellation will not function during the thousand years - Amos 8:9; Ezek. 32:7
C. CLOSING EVENTS OF THE MILLENNIUM
1. Christ will come from heaven:
a. To make His home on the new earth - Rev. 21:3
b. The New Jerusalem will come down from heaven and in it the saints of the most High - Rev. 21:10
2. The second resurrection, or the resurrection of the wicked, takes place:
a. The Bible speaks of two resurrections -
(1) The resurrection of the righteous or just takes place at the second coming of Christ -John 5:28, 29; 1 Thess. 4:13-17; 1 Cor. 15:22, 23
(2) The wicked will not live again until the thousand years are ended -Rev.20:5
b. It is this event that frees Satan for a short time and he re-engages in his work of deception as before - Rev. 20:8
c. But this deception will climax his work because both he and the deceived will meet their final doom; they will be destroyed by fire which will fall down from heaven - Rev. 20:9, 10
3. It is significant:
a. That Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed with fire that came down from heaven -Gen.19:24, 25
b. The same fate will end the reign of sin for ever and ever - 2 Pet. 2:4-6
4. The earth, purified by fire, will be made new and will become the home of the redeemed for ever and ever: 2Pet. 3:9-11; Isa. 34:8-10. Compare, also, Isa. 65:17-19 with chapter 66:22, 23; Rev. 22:1-9
Will you be there?