Summary: The Kingdom grows. How does it grow in 1) our lives 2) our community 3) Our world (a call to involvement, evangelism and social action, really)
The mustard seed and the yeast Mt 13:31-33 WBC 24/3/2 pm
2 parables of GROWTH.
- imperceptible start -> massive endings
- “mighty oaks from little acorns grow”
- massive, fruitful, tasty, sheltering, helpful endings
It’s about the power of this stuff. The KOG. It’s transforming power. It’s pervasive power. The invasiveness, humungousnes, growingness of the work of God in
- our lives… ours service.. our community… our world
It’s about it starting off in
- just going to a quiz evening!
- Sitting on our mother’s knee listening to stories about Jesus
- Talking with your neighbour… or a hitchhiker… about God
- Finding yourself in church… alpha… Emmaus
… and before you know it it is everything to you
- you live for it
- are waiting to die for/with/in it
- can’t get enough of it
- can’t stop reading the Bible. Can’t stop loving Jesus
- can’t get enough of Him… of the rule of God in your life
- “Lord, reign on me!!”
As I look at the parable of the dough & yeast, I guess this is the first thing the dough could be
1) YOUR LIFE
How the message about Jesus… the rule of God… just keeps taking more and more territory in your life
- because you want it
- because he’s so winsome… desirable. He beckons ‘et me in’
Successively you open doors to Him:
-. The throne room -> the heart (your affections) -> the mind (your thoughts) -> the rooms (with dirt, dust and hurts in) -> the will
Oh, the bitter shame and sorrow
that a time could ever be,
when I let the Saviour’s pity
plead in vain, and proudly answered:
All of self, and none of thee!
Yet he found me: I beheld him
bleeding on the accursèd tree,
heard him pray: Forgive them, Father;
and my wistful heart said faintly:
Some of self and some of thee!
Day by day his tender mercy,
healing, helping, full and free:
sweet and strong, and ah! so patient,
brought me lower, while I whispered:
Less of self and more of thee!
Higher than the highest heaven,
deeper than the deepest sea;
Lord, thy love at last hath conquered;
grant me now my supplication:
None of self and all of thee!
Words: Theodore Monod, 1874
Before you know it… and as the years go by and you grow in discipleship- the yeast works its way through the whole of your life… and has grown beyond all expectancy
The Key thing is the GROWTH, here. But what else could the dough be? What else could the KOG be growing in?
2) THE COMMUNITY
This could be talking about the impact of the KOG in the community around you
– or, if you like, YOUR impact on the community around you.
– YOU could well be the yeast, here
And here’s the effect as you get: ‘tucked in’… ‘mixed in’…
- where you work. Where you serve. With your neighbours. In your charity project. In your community project… jubilee celebration… ante-natal class… students union… lift sharing scheme… kids club
- something, seemingly, so small – but somehow (eternity will tell) it ends up making a big difference
- note- it does so imperceptibly!
- Can’t find the mustard seed, or the yeast if you go looking for them! Hard to say “there was the starting point.. or person!”
- Particularly with the yeast. Even before it’s lost in the dough it’s dissolved in water.