Summary: • This morning I want to position you to use the name that is above every name…the Name of Jesus. • In ancient Hebrew culture, names carried great significance. • They might refer to an individual’s personality, relate to an event surrounding a person’
• This morning I want to position you to use the name that is above every name…the Name of Jesus.
• In ancient Hebrew culture, names carried great significance.
• They might refer to an individual’s personality, relate to an event surrounding a person’s birth, or indicate a way that God would use the child’s life.
• A name conveyed the very character and nature of a person.
• This morning I want to discuss the name of Jesus. As the Son of God, Jesus was the most exalted person to ever walk the earth; therefore, His name is above every other name.
• Let’s see what the Bible has to say about the Name of Jesus.
(NKJV) Philippians 2 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
1) The Significance of Jesus’ Name
a) Shout… The Name of Jesus has significance.
b) The world views Jesus as a religious leader who lived and preached around 30 A.D.
i) His followers claim that He had the power to heal people and that He rose from the dead after His crucifixion.
ii) Those who believe in Him are called Christians.”
c) The name Jesus is the Greek version of the Hebrew name Yeshua, which means “salvation.”
i) This name indicates that Christ’s primary role was as the world’s Savior, not just a moral teacher.
ii) The Bible gives over 100 different names for Jesus, including the Son of Man, the Son of God, Prophet, Teacher, King of Kings, Immanuel, the Good Shepherd, the Light of the World, the Bread of Life, the Lamb of God, our High Priest, and Lord.
2) The Position of Jesus’ Name
a) Shout…I must position Jesus to be 1st in my life.
b) The Bible says all will not be saved; the entire world will bow in submission to Jesus. Every tongue will confess the name of Jesus.
c) There are consequences when a person profanes the Name of Jesus.
(NKJV) Exodus 20 7 “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
3) The Power of Jesus’ Name
a) Shout… There is power in the Name of Jesus.
b) The Name of Jesus is demonstrated in salvation.
i) There is no salvation or hope of eternal life apart from the name of Jesus.
(NKJV) Acts 4 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”