Summary: God wants His people to be faithful in their church attendance.
HEB.10:22-31 "THE NEED FOR FAITHFULNESS IN CHURCH ATTENDANCE"
* If our dictionary is revised in the next few years, beside the entry for the word "faithfulness,"
* There could possibly be a note which reads: "a once prized characteristic of human character
which is now extinct." * You might think that is a bit ludicrous;
* But there is more truth to that statement than many realize!
* If faithfulness is not yet extinct in our culture, it is moving in that direction!
* It may not be dead, but it’s getting pretty sick!
A) The characteristic of faithfulness is certainly one element that is missing in our society today!
* Marriages break up because of a lack of faithfulness! * Business partnerships dissolves .......
* Friendships end in bitterness because of a lack of faithfulness!
* Churches suffer because of a lack of faithfulness!
B) Unfortunately, faithfulness and words related to it like, commitment, loyalty, reliability,
* And integrity are no longer considered as essential and important!
C) For us as believers, faithfulness is indispensable! * Without it, we’ll not be pleasing to God!
* Indeed, the one characteristic which should mark Christians is faithfulness!
* It should mark us because it marks God! * God is faithful! 2 Tim.2:13 "If we believe not ....."
* That word "faithful" means: to rely upon, have confidence in.
* The opposite of faithful is unfaithful! Pr.25:19 "Confidence in an unfaithful man in time ....."
D) Because God is faithful, we learn to be faithful! * Faithfulness is one characteristic which
should never become extinct among true believers! * World book Dict. "doing one’s duty,"
* "Keeping one’s promise, loyal." * "The faithful" - Christians, true believers
E) The scriptures call the Christian to be faithful in many areas, but today we are going to see,
* That we are called to be faithful to church! * Let’s read our text - Heb.10:22-31
* How are we to be faithful to the church? * I’ll tell you how!
(1) BY ATTENDING THE SERVICES! * Note v.25 * "Forsaking" - to desert, leave behind.
* Listen! A Christian has a biblical obligation to be faithful to attend church!
* People take this verse lightly! * There is great danger in forsaking the assembly!
A) The Bible teaches that Christians are to meet together for public worship & fellowship!
* In 2 Thes.2:1 Paul referred to it as a "gathering." * I got saved in the church, a deacon .......
* I was called to preach in the church, I pastor a church, my salary comes from the church,
* I love the church! * Look at Ps.27:4 and Ps.84:1-4;10
B) You don’t just come to church to get a message from the Lord!
* You come to church to meet with Jesus! * There is a sense in which the Lord is present,
when His people gather that He’s not present in another way! Matt.18:20 "For where two ..."
C) Another phrase in v.25 is this: "as ye see the day ......." * What day is referred to here?
* The coming of Christ! * As we look and see that the Lord’s coming is nearing,
* Faithfulness is going to be more necessary than ever!
D) This is the time for people to stay in church, not get out! * I am a victor today because;