Summary: God’s goal is not simply to announce His presence
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
6 April 2014
THE NEW COVENANT AND THE CROSS
Goal/message/Hope/Cross for Today
• Find ultimate stability/cross/Christ and/New Covenant He established, in the midst of an unstable world.
• Help you trust/stability/New Covenant when/world around us crumbles.
• Outline five aspects of New Covenant living
• Will help us detach from worldly things and attach to the cross.
INTRODUCTION: “What’s going on segment”
• Many years ago, Marvin Gaye penned/lyrics/song
• summarizing a number/negative realities/world
• Asking the question, “What’s going on?”
• He knew/something/amiss
• Bringing havoc on many dimensions within our world and society.
Similar question/asked by Christians
• They wonder, “What’s going on? What is happening?”
• As we /look/landscape/society/which we live
• Day doesn’t go by where there doesn’t seem to be more calamity, more chaos, more confusion, and even more uncertainty.
This uncertainty doesn’t just occur in our society, though.
• Countless/people who/looking/own personal lives/struggles
• Raising/question “What/going on/me? What/happening/my life?”
Heb. 12 author/writing/Jewish Christians who/raising/very same question
• They/about/enter into/most climactic time their generation has ever experienced
• Jerusalem is about to be besieged by Titus and his army.
• Temple will soon be destroyed
• The dark clouds of despair have already gathered/horizon.
• Later/book/Heb. we even learn some have been imprisoned
• Others have had their property confiscated.
As you might imagine:
• question that emerges is
• How is a person to respond to the chaos ensuing all around?
1. LIFE BEFORE THE CROSS
Remember the Old Covenant Hebrews 12:18-21
• At Mt. Sinai, God established the old, Mosaic Covenant
• On Mt. Sinai, God spoke to Israel/OT Ex 19.
• Animals ratified the old covenant.
When God/come down/spoken prior/giving/Ten Commandments
• sight to behold/mountain began/smoke and quake
• thunder and lighting
• Loud trumpet blasts.
All/environmental aspects happened in order to let the people know how serious a moment it was.
• God’s presence/mountain shook/entire mountain
• Smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace.
• so much/people ran away/did not want to listen
• Even Moses himself trembled.”
God’s holiness/prevented/Israelites/approaching Mt. Sinai
• Any man or beast who touched/mountain would be stoned
• Even Moses was afraid to climb the mountain
God’s goal is not simply to announce His presence