Summary: Our new selves are characterized by love, and therefore we should value and live-out the nuances of love.
The New Self: God’s Love On Display
1. WOODSTOCK, Ill., Feb. 11 (UPI) -- Customers at an Illinois Shell station received gas for just one cent per gallon due to a glitch in the system, an employee said.
Rita Castillo, who has worked at the Shell station in Woodstock for about five years, said a glitch in the system Sunday night led to gas being sold for $0.01 per gallon instead of the intended price of $3.50 per gallon, WBBM NewsRadio, Chicago, reported Tuesday.
Castillo said there were long lines of cars waiting when she arrived for work.
"The first thing I do is run outside and check the price," Castillo said.
She said the price was returned to normal Sunday night. She said she does not know how many people purchased gas for the nearly free price.
Castillo said she hopes Shell will make up for her boss' lost product and income.
"I like my boss. He's a good man. I don't know what's going on. I hope the company replaces that stuff. But I feel upset for him," she said.
2. This is funny in a way, but it is sad that none of the customers notified the desk.
3. When you take advantage of a mistake, sometimes heads roll; you are being anything but kind.
4. It’s like punishing a waitress for a mistake the cook made. Not right — not what Jesus would do.
Main Idea: Our new selves are characterized by love, and therefore we should value and live-out the nuances of love.
I. We Put On the New Self Because of Who We ARE (12a)
A. CHOSEN ones
1. When professional sports make draft choices, that is election in progress
2. Jesus died for everyone, not just the chosen. So we can offer salvation to all
B. Holy means SET APART from the mainstream
1. We’re choking on this like a 5 year-old choking on spinach
2. We are so bent on being like the world and relating to the culture; has its commendable side, but we have become uncomfortable with being different
3. Luke V. said it well: “What we call the culture, the Bible calls the world.”
4. This means we must be selectivists, the Philippians 4:8 principle;
C. Beloved means SPECIALLY loved in a way others are not
1. I care about many people, but none are so beloved as my wife & children.
2. If we live holy lives, we suffer and need this reinforcement
Application: We work best when we become what we are meant to be.
II. The New Self Values LOVE and Its Sections (12b-14)
1. Love is like plywood; each layer is glued to make a strong board; love is both the glue and the finished product
2. Much of what is passed off as love is really people pleasing, giving people what they want, or being compliant
3. Lists of virtues popular in both Greek and Jewish culture: Fruit of the Spirit
4. Paul does not mention here that the Holy Spirit supplies a never-ending supply of love in our hearts, as per Romans 5:5)
A. COMPASSION (in our inward parts)
Parable of Good Samaritan; the Samaritan has compassion (pity). deeply seated
Watching a lot of violence in movies/TV can harden us, not as disturbed
The Talmud teaches: “The Torah begins with an act of kindness, and ends with an act of kindness. It begins with an act of kindness, for it says, ‘God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them’ (Genesis 3:21). And it ends with an act of kindness, for it says, ‘He [God] buried him [Moses] in the valley’” (Deuteronomy 34:6; Sotah 14a).