Summary: The Antichrist might be found at a theatre near you, but also in anything else that is not uplifting Christ in your life or edifying to others around you.
A. On June 6, 2006 (6/6/06) “The Omen” Was Released In Theatres
“This WeekThe prophecy is clear, the signs unmistakable: Armageddon is upon us. On 6 / 6 / 06, ’The Omen’ is revealed...and our darkest fears are realized. ’The Omen,’ a contemporary thriller based on the 1976 classic film, centers around a young boy named Damien, the son of an American diplomat and his wife. Damien’s family is unaware he is destined to become the Anti-Christ –- until shattering events reveal the terrifying truth.” (Moviefone)
3. Purpose Of This Sermon:
1. To examine Bible references to the AntiChrist
2. To review the question “What is the AntiChrist?”
3. To review the question “When will the AntiChrist come?”
4. To review the question “How is the AntiChrist opposite of Christ?”
5. To make a personal application: “You’re here and now AntiChrist!”
More information can be found in my book, REVELATIONS TO GO! (The no-headache / no-Tylenol, life application approach to the last book of the Bible) – available for order online or wherever books are sold.
I. BIBLE REFERENCES
A. Only Four Scriptures Directly Refer To An “Antichrist”
1 John 2:18 “Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.”
* Antichrist is coming
* Many antichrist have already come
John 2:22 “Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son.”
* Antichrist is a liar and deceiver
* Antichrist denies the father and the son
1 John 4:3 “…and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.”
* Antichrist is more than just a “person”
* Antichrist is a spirit – a system of evil
* Antichrist is coming
* Antichrist already in the world
2 John 7 “For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.”
* Antichrist is a deceiver
* Antichrist denies that Jesus’ incarnation
B. Other Scriptures Make Indirect References
2 Thes 2:3-12
Revelation 3:18 ff.
II. WHAT IS THE ANTICHRIST?
A. Hollywood Might Suggest
1. He is a specific flesh & blood person
2. Certainly 2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 says “man of sin”
3. Translated literally – some may think it’s a flesh and blood person
B. What The Bible Teaches
1. To suggest the Antichrist is simply a flesh & blood person is limited
2. He is very much “spirit” (1 John 4:3)
3. What about 2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 “man of sin” reference?
4. Refer to Ephesians 2:15 – Christ’s church is also referred to as “one new man”
5. Just as the body of Christ (the Church) is Christ’s agent and representative in the world (yesterday, today, and tomorrow), similarly the “man of lawlessness” (2 Thes 2:3 ff) is Satan’s agent and representative in the world.
6. As the church is not simply one man or one organization – but a living spiritual organism representing Christ, so also there is a dark spiritual organism or system in this world (not simply one man or organization) that represents Satan – that is what John refers to as the “spirit of the antichrist” (1 John 2:18)