Summary: The centrality of the cross. Our works, deeds and actions do not make us righteous. It is only in the cross of Christ that we can boast.
The Only Thing that Matters
Galatians 6:11-12 (NLT)
Notice what large letters I use as I write these closing words in my own handwriting.  Those who are trying to force you to be circumcised are doing it for just one reason. They don’t want to be persecuted for teaching that the cross of Christ alone can save.
• The flash point
• A demonstrated act of personal holiness
• The real issue
• The Judaizers were seeking to avoid persecution over the teaching of the completeness of the cross of Christ
Galatians 6:13 (NLT)
And even those who advocate circumcision don’t really keep the whole law. They only want you to be circumcised so they can brag about it and claim you as their disciples.
• The advocates of circumcision
– Chastised the Gentile believers for their lack of adherence
– Chose only to follow certain parts of the law while ignoring others
– Motivated by “political” gain
• Complete surrender
– The Christian life involves complete surrender and not piece meal adherence
Galatians 6:14 (NLT)
As for me, God forbid that I should boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world died long ago, and the world’s interest in me is also long dead.
The Completeness of the Cross
• The cross of Christ
– Where my sinful nature died
– Where my selfish ambition died
– Where my righteousness was purchased
• Nothing to boast about
– Jesus did the work
• Paid the debt
• Redeemed my soul
Galatians 6:15-16 (NLT)
It doesn’t make any difference now whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we really have been changed into new and different people.  May God’s mercy and peace be upon all those who live by this principle. They are the new people of God.
All About the Heart
• God does not look at the outward
– Circumcision did not bring righteousness
– Our good deeds and adherence to the law do not bring us into righteousness
– We are made righteous by faith in Jesus
• The people of God
– Those made righteous by faith
Galatians 6:17-18 (NLT)
From now on, don’t let anyone trouble me with these things. For I bear on my body the scars that show I belong to Jesus.
 My dear brothers and sisters, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
No Longer Troubled
• You have been set free
– Do not choose the bondage of legalism
– Christ has set you free
• You are a child of grace
• Use your freedom
– For the glory of the Lord
– A living testimony of His righteousness