Summary: Having God as the object of our faith and coming to know Him by the word implanted in our hearts, the outcome of our faith will be works which benefit ourselves, our church, and the world all to the glory of God. Invitation
The Outcome of Faith
Text: James 1:22 “Prove yourselves doers of the word...”
In our lesson this morning we saw how the object of our faith and our knowledge of that object determines the value and quality of our faith. We saw that as an object of our faith only God is will never fail us and that by knowledge of Him, by His word, we can grow a faith that is strong and sure.
This evening we consider the outcome of our saving faith.
Faith Changes Us.
A. Our faith changes us.
1. We are no longer what we were.
2 Corithians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
b. Romans 6:4 tells us that we walk in newness of life.
c. That change is internal and must be expressed externally.
2. Think again of the illustration of the HMS Titanic.
a. The people who put their faith in the ship were the ones who embark on that fateful voyage; they got on the ship.
b. Their faith was not well placed the ship being an unsound object. The result was a negative event.
c. When faith is placed in a positive object, positive actions will result.
3. Placing our faith in God leads to positive spiritual results which must be reflected in our physical lives as well.
a. James 2:18 But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."
b. With the word of God implanted in our hearts, our faith will show through our works.
4. Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
a. Works are expected as a result of our faith.
b. Hebrews 13:7 gRemember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.
c. We imitate their faith from which their conduct flowed. Their conduct was good because of their faith.
5. James 2:26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
II. Our Faith Must Be Active
A. Faith is not just about believing.
1. James 2:19 The demons believe and shudder because their belief does not extend to their actions.
a. Our faith must produce an effect different from the demons, our faith must produce a life which trusts in God, is lived for God.
2. Our works show in many areas:
a. Works which benefit us personally.
1) in our study and application of God's word. 2 Timothy 2:15
2) in our careers, daily life. Colossians 3:18
b. Works which benefit the body.
1) dozens of “one another” scriptures (love, encouragement, support, preference, comfort, caring, acceptance, admonition, service)
c. To the world to give glory to God.
Matthew 5:16 "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.h