Summary: 7 Blessings of Obedience
THE OUTCOME OF OBEDIENCE
· A few centuries before Christ a man named Alexander conquered almost all of the known world using military strength, cleverness and a bit of diplomacy. The story is told that Alexander and a small company of soldiers approached a strongly fortified walled city. Alexander, standing outside the walls, raised his voice and demanded to see the king. When the king arrived, Alexander insisted that the king surrender the city and its inhabitants to Alexander and his little band of fighting men.
The king laughed, "Why should I surrender to you? You can’t do us any harm!" But Alexander offered to give the king a demonstration. He ordered his men to line up single file and start marching. He marched them straight toward a sheer cliff
The townspeople gathered on the wall and watched in shocked silence as, one by one, Alexander’s soldiers marched without hesitation right off the cliff to their deaths! After ten soldiers died, Alexander ordered the rest of the men to return to his side. The townspeople and the king immediately surrendered to Alexander the Great. They realized that if a few men were actually willing to commit suicide at the command of this dynamic leader, then nothing could stop his eventual victory.
Are you willing to be as obedient to the ruler of the universe, Jesus Christ, as those soldiers were to Alexander? Are you as dedicated and committed? Think how much power Christ could have in our area with just a portion of such commitment.
--James S. Hewett, Illustrations Unlimited (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc, 1988) pp. 102-103.
· Someone once asked Dr. Cho (pastor of largest church in the world – over 1 million.)
What is the key to your great success? His reply was very simple “I pray and I obey”
· The Outcome of Obedience to God will always bring blessing!
Ps 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
7 blessings that obedience to God will acquire for you:
#1) ACQUIRE THE FREEDOM:
· In Acts 16:16-30 we read an incredible account of the mighty power of God demonstrated through Paul and Silas. They were slapped in jail for setting a demon-possessed lady free. She brought in a great deal of revenue to her owners by fortune telling.
With the demon gone, no more prophe-lying! Paul & Silas received a terrible beating for their act of kindness and were slammed into the inner slammer! So they got mad at God and everybody right!
WRONG! They held a worship service in the middle of their suffering!
25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one’s bands were loosed.
· Just think of the blessing obedience brought! THEY WERE MADE FREE BY THEIR PRAISES TO GOD! Not only were they set free, but even the criminals around them were free! Captives were set free because of obedience! The following verses show us that our obedience can win the lost!!
27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
· Not only was the jailer saved, but we read on in the text and find that his entire family were saved! WHY, BECAUSE OF OBEDIENCE!
· Here is the command that they obeyed. 1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
· THANKFULNESS IS A COMMAND TO BE OBEYED REGARDLESS OF OUR CIRCUMSTANCES OR TRIALS!
#2) ACQUIRE THE FIRE:
· THE FIRE OF THE HOLY GHOST CAME BY WAY OF OBEDIENCE
Acts 1: 4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
· Ac 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
· The fire of the Holy Spirit that fell upon those obedient believers that day, is still spreading throughout the world!
· Ac 5:32 and we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.