Summary: The Christian needs to understand that we must reach out to our society because it is a matter of life and death. We cannot sit back and let the vices of the world destroy the people in our community.
The Outreach Factor
Jared DEA director of Polk County will share on the problem with drug use and abuse in our county.
Thesis: The Christian needs to understand that we must reach out to our society because it is a matter of life and death. We cannot sit back and let the vices of the world destroy the people in our community.
Video clip: Star Wars Episode One- The Phantom Menace
Clip Overview: Qui-Gon and Obi –Wan ask the Gungan ruler Boss Nass to help them warn the Naboo of impending danger. Boss Nass responds that they don’t care about the haughty Naboo since the Gungans are safe in their underwater home. Obi-wan cautions that whatever happens to one affects the other, but Boss Nass will not listen (Belknapp, pg. 26).
* Joshua 7:1-13 reveals that the sins of others does affect a nation and our lives personally.
Questions to ask New Life Community Church:
1. Why should we care about the drug problem in Polk County?
2. Do you think like Boss Nass that what happens to them will not affect you in your safe environment?
3. Why should we show concern for a community that has chosen to follow their own selfish ways?
4. What would Jesus do if he where here in our community today?
5. What opportunities present themselves to you each week where you can show concern and compassion to another?
6. When was the last time you showed concern for a person’s eternal destiny?
7. When was the last time you shared that there is hope for a person immersed in sin and bondage?
John 15:1-17 The Holy Bible, New International Version
John 15:1 (NIV)
1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
John 15:2 (NIV)
2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes£ so that it will be even more fruitful.
John 15:3 (NIV)
3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.
John 15:4 (NIV)
4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
John 15:5 (NIV)
5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:6 (NIV)
6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
John 15:7 (NIV)
7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.
John 15:8 (NIV)
8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
John 15:9 (NIV)
9“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
John 15:10 (NIV)
10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.
John 15:11 (NIV)
11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
John 15:12 (NIV)
12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
John 15:13 (NIV)
13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.