Summary: The church needs people that will just Pray!
Intro. Many feel important, some even seek importance. We need Godly leadership. We need servants. We need those that are loyal to the ministry. We need givers. We need consistency. We need talented. All of that is good, but more than all, we need people in our church that know how to pray! Why is there a slacking of blessings, what will it take to see more souls saved?
Why are the tears ceasing? Why has the fervor for God waned? We need Prayer. The Pastor’s Most Valuable Partners are those that are willing to pray!
I. The Prayer Pattern - Mat 6:9-13 (very simple representation) Not the Lord’s prayer but a model prayer. This prayer shows the connection of two worlds.
A. The Relationship - Our Father
1. This is the direction of Prayer - We are not to cry to saints and angels, but to the everlasting Father, the Father of spirits, the Lord of heaven and earth.
2. This is the distinction of Prayer - He is Mine.
B. The Reverence - Hallowed - A word expressed in urgency. Live with the Holiness of God in sight.
C. The Resignation - Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done
1. A Hope for the Future 1Co 15:24 "Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."
2. A Humility for the Present - Cheerfully, Constantly, and Completely surrendered - never happen without prayer. Perfect example is Paul - Ro 1:10 "Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you."
We must proceed on the journey, walking in His will (Never without prayer).
D. The Requests
1. Need for the Physical - Bread - Jesus revealed that the daily gifts of provision that we need are the gifts from the hand of God.
2. Need for Pardon - Forgive us
3. Need for Protection - Deliver us
Ps 70:1 "Make haste, O God, to deliver me; make haste to help me, O LORD."
E. The Result - How does a Christian rise from Prayer
1. He rises from his knees committed to the will of God (Kingdom).
2. He rises from his knees confident in the power of God (Power).
3. He rises from his knees committed to the glory of God (Glory).
II. The Prayer Participation- Acts 12:12 "And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying."
A. Prayer must be given its Place.
1. Someone must desire to pray to come.
2. The essence of a prayer meeting isn’t singing, the essence of a prayer meeting is not even the taking of requests that many times turns to more discussion than prayer. A prayer meeting is not fellowship with one another. The essence of a prayer meeting is: you and God, and no one else - and that’s hard; do we pray?
3. There is no piousness, no pride in approaching this altar to pray. We should come humble before God’s Throne, yet with the boldness of children.
4. Many will come to many things, but will we come and pray?